Headlights

acolwill

Hi there :D

My apologies if this is in the wrong part of the forum, feel free to move it around to the proper place if it is.

I have a fairly serious issue (especially giving the time of year) which I was only aware of this morning on my way to work.
I had, what I thought was a pair of main beam headlight bulbs blow at the same time, as I wasn't getting anything from them (side lights, full beam and fogs all work).
I checked the fuses, all working fine. So I spent a good 20 mins swapping out the two bulbs, to no avail.

After much faffing around, I managed to get down to Dovercourt Audi only to find that all their "technicians" go home at 5pm.

My only resort at this time of night, was to call out the RAC to see if there's anything they can do (which I highly doubt).

Aside from the fuses and relays (and obviously the bulbs), is there anything that I can physically check myself (aside from the lighting stalk) to verify/rectify my predicament ?

you've already covered it. Though both (whether it's dipped or main beam) at the same time says something other than fuses, as they're on different fuses per side.

Switch would be my personal first port of call after the fuses, bulbs and relay.

Bret

I haven't been able to change the relays, as the rain was starting to come down rather heavily as I was changing the bulbs.

Am I right in assuming that the left and right headlamp clusters are controlled by corresponding left and right single relays? i.e. if one relay dies, one side of lights dies?

I agree, if you have checked all of those things and no joy it would probably be the switch or wiring issues, the rac wouldnt be much help as new parts probably need to be ordered, very very odd!!

Good luck getting it sorted though
Chris

I don't know if it's only one relay or not and don't have a wiring diagram to hand. I'm sure it's seperate fuses for main and dipped beam and left and right, as I've upgraded mine to 15A at least on the high beam and did the dipped while I was testing the Xenon a couple of years back.

Bret

Hi Acolwill, the circuit for your dip beams is as follows:

Battery to ignition switch, ignition switch to relay 9 on plate by fuse box (bottom row, furthest right), relay to light switch (Pin 1, a thick black/yellow wire), light switch to fuses 23/24 and then on to the lights themselves.

I'd suggest putting a meter across the black/yellow wire to see if the relay is operating properly and take it from there.

Cheers,

Mike

There is only one relay - have you a meter? If so, check the voltage at the fuse when the switch is turned on - I've not heard of a faulty light switch before.

Cjeers.

Mike

The inner illumination on the switch which indicated the lights were on have both failed, and there's a distinct smell of what I can only describe as "wet dog" coming from the switch itself.

The chap from the RAC had tested the relay using the feed to the dipped side. i.e. powering the full beam using the switch output for the side lights. Killed two birds with one stone. Relay 1 - Switch 0

He'd also been on the phone to I can only assume was his boss who reckoned it was "a fairly common issue on older audi's"

Well, he's wrong on that score - failed light switches are a very rare occurence, regardless of the age of the A2.

See what the price quoted is - I have a spare here which you can have for 50% rrp.

Cheers,

Mike

I'm gonna pop into an Audi service centre tomorrow and see what they say, as I need to get this sorted tomorrow (relying on own transport for work sucks when there's no such luxury as a pool car at work!) However I'll be travelling in the complete opposite direction to my local one (Chingford), so it'll most likely be Bexley Audi, or Docklands Audi

Just on the off-hand. Has anyone got a part number or similar for the switch unit?

If you have front fogs, the part number is 8Z2 941 531E 5PR or 8Z2 941 531D 5PR is you just have rear fogs. List price around the £75 mark.

Cheers,

Mike

Mine has the front fogs, thanks again :D

I'm an idiot!

I've just realised a similar code is printed on the side of my switch :|

8Z2 941 531E 21E-K

Last edited:
Hi All,

Just a quick note to add to this thread.

I had this problem yesterday and it turned out to be the Main switch.

They are very easy to dismantle and all that it required was to clean the faulty contact with some smooth Wet & Dry.

No relays on this model so the full current of the headlamps is going thru the switch.

Poor design in my opinion.

It works again for now but if it fails then I shall use the failing switched contact to activate a 30A relay.

Hope this helps.

Hv.

Last edited:
Back