Key fob not working

TORY123

Hi all,
Im having a problem with my key fobs. I have 2 key fobs but 1 stopped working a while ago, I changed the battery but it still refused to work so I have just been using the other key until I got around to sorting it out. Now that one has stopped working and I cant even use any of them to open the door manually. I have tried replacing batteries but no luck. Anyone got any suggestions? I cant understand why I cant open the door with the key manually. Any help would be much appreciated.
Thanks
Vicky

Hi Vicky.

Have you tried re syncing your keys?

I had this prob with my spare, If you use one key and don't use the spare it will un sync its self after so many cycles.

I am not sure what the re sync methord off the top of my head but will do a search for you and post it up.

Cheers

David

Mike helped me with this prob and this is what he posted

I presume you have 2 keys and the one that's now dead as a dodo has not been used in the last few months?

After around 200 cycles of the other key, the spare key will lose its sync and need to be re-synced.

In practise, what you need to do is simply lock and unlock the car using the blade in the door and then start the car with the duff key.

Run it for a few seconds and then turn off and pull the key out and immediately press the unlock button. You'll hear the door locks cycle and then it's all done.

Cheers,

Mike

Thanks for that David.

Unfortunately, I cant try the reprogramming as I cant get the door opened with the key blade, I can get the key in and it turns but the door just wont unlock.

Thanks
Vicky

Hi.

Sorry missed that one from your first post. That has stumped me:confused::eek:

Is your battery flat, I don't that much how thay work. Was not sure if a flat battery would stop the door opening.

Hopefully one of the members with more tec knoledge will come along and shed some light on it.

Cheers

David

No the car battery is fine, I have just pulled up got out of the car and it wouldnt lock remotely so I locked it with the key blade manually. I then changed the battery in the fob and i'm now stuck, it wont unlock at all. It has stumped me too lol

Not very lady like, just had a thought. I don't know if you could open the boot?

And get in that way and try unlocking the doors from the inside drivers door?

The alarm might go off though?

Cheers

David

No the car battery is fine, I have just pulled up got out of the car and it wouldnt lock remotely so I locked it with the key blade manually. I then changed the battery in the fob and i'm now stuck, it wont unlock at all. It has stumped me too lol

Not sure what's going on as the key blade should unlock the door regardless of correct function of the remote. Audi even supply a plastic key for access to the car (it won't start the engine) in emergencies.

Things worth trying -
Use your other key to try opening the door. Have several goes to try and 'unstick' the lock mechanism
Try turning the key in the unlocking mode twice in quick succession. On some models this opens the other doors.
Try the re-synchronising procedure. Press the remote to unlock the car then immediately try and unlock it with the key. Attempt this with both keys.
If you are lucky enough to open the door then the keys will need 'initialising' or pairing as above.

Cheers Spike

Are you saying that both the keys won't unlock the door manually? Are you sure you're turning in the right direction?

If this is the case, it sounds like something has either come away inside the door or the barrel is broken.

Cheers,

Mike

Thanks Spike,

I will try in the morning when I can see what i'm doing and wont upset the neighbours if the alarm goes off lol I will let you know how I get on.

Cheers
Vicky

Hi Mike,

Yeah its both keys and i'm turning in the right direction. When I put the key in and turn it it makes the noise as though its unlocking but it doesnt acctually unlock it. Gonna try Spikes suggestion now. Ill let you know how we get on.

Cheers
Vicky

Yey we have got into the car and managed to resync both our fobs!!!!!

My partner put the key in the lock and held it in the lock position until the alarm light stopped flashing inside the car and then just opened the door lol

The fob he was using then started working remotely so we just resynced the other.

It all sounds a bit weird but Im just glad we have managed it. Thank you all for your help.

Cheers
Vicky

Thanks for this post...my key fob stopped working this morning and the resyncing method described worked perfectly. Not the first time this Forum has saved me a trip to the garage :)

Thanks,
Mark

Back