Is the polo engine the same as the a2?

George

Does anybody know if the 2005 polo engine is the same as the 66kw 2005 audi a2 engine? I know it's rated at 80hp instead of 90hp like the audi, but it does have more than the 75hp that they both had in 2002. I was thinking it was the same re-done engine in both models with a limiter and possibly the lack of an intercooler.

Hi George - I assume you'r talking diesel here
I've read nothing on the 80hp Polo engine but I suspect it relates to improvements in the injection system. The A2 was available with both 75 and 90hp tdi engines and both were aftercooled. There were significant differences in the build with no simple limiter.

Cheers Spike

Sorry, I forgot to mention tdi. Yes this is a tdi I am talking about. I am aware of the 75 and 90 that the a2 had. My question is focused around specifically the engines made in 2004+, the compression ratio was changed to 18.00:1 from 19.50:1 and turbo along with other things was changed on the a2 to get the 90hp. I was wondering if the polo of that year (2004+) had the same engine it had before (19.50:1). or did it get the newer compression ratio too but lacked the other upgrades the audi received.

Hi George,

The A2 engine you refer to is coded the ATL engine by the VAG group.

This engine has been used in the Polo, but only in Model Years 2000 to 2002

Cheers,

Mike

Hi George
I'm only guessing but I'm fairly sure the 2004+ tdi engines wont be 'limited' versions of the 90hp unit. To be 100% certain you could compare the engine 'codes' of early and late 75 hp engines - as a starter, my 2001 TDi 75hp engine code is AMF.

Cheers Spike

Can anyone tell me the engine code for the 1.4 petrol engine and is it the same as a VW unit (polo?)

A2driver said:
Can anyone tell me the engine code for the 1.4 petrol engine and is it the same as a VW unit (polo?)
There are two variants of the 1.4 petrol engine used in the A2, the AUA and BBY engines.

I believe that both have been used in the Polo at some stage.

Cheers,

Mike

Back