My A2 @ Nurburgring

Just back from the annual SEATCupra.Net 'Ring trip where I took the A2 out for 7 laps. It was a gruelling trip for the 1.4 75 TDI given we went to Switzerland beforehand, had the bikes on the roof and on the way back from germany the rear stacked with crates of beer!

A top trip, at which many were suprised to see an A2 lapping the 'ring! Had some very amusing laps - sticking with and passing a Porsche Boxter and 944 turbo plus a Lotus Exige on one lap of 50% dry, 50% wet will always be remembered :D Overall she handled well, obviously lacked grunt but was good fun nevertheless! My best lap was 10:43 with a few yellow flags in place - only exactly 60s slower than my best time last year in my SEAT Cordoba TDI '130' with upgraded brakes/suspension/engine etc - a good showing I thought!

IMG_4995.jpg

1900 miles in total, of which the return journey in convoy was problematic given 90 MPH was the max possible on the autobahns and most of the time was spent with the pedel to the floor (resulting in a fair bit of oil burnage - 1L added today).

IMG_0489.sized.jpg

More pics to come if/as I get them!

Hey Mark
Looks like you really enjoyed yourself
Wish i could make it there one day Great Lap Time
perhaps if you had taken the roofbars off you may
have beat the Cordoba's Time LOL !!!!!

Cant wait to see some more pics .......

Last edited:
driveforward said:
My best lap was 10:43 with a few yellow flags in place - only exactly 60s slower than my best time last year in my SEAT Cordoba TDI '130' with upgraded brakes/suspension/engine etc - a good showing I thought!

I take it the aerodynamic aids fitted to the roof of the car are along the same design principle as the current McLaren F1 car's "horns". I like your thinking.

Must aid airflow to the rear tailgate spoiler and hence downforce? That's why you posted a sub-11 minute lap! :)

toby1 said:
I take it the aerodynamic aids fitted to the roof of the car are along the same design principle as the current McLaren F1 car's "horns". I like your thinking.

Must aid airflow to the rear tailgate spoiler and hence downforce? That's why you posted a sub-11 minute lap! :)
:D

Exactly, glad someome understands! Everyone else just thought I couldn't be bothered to spend an hour taking them off and putting them back on!! What do they know ;) :)

Who said you cant have a bit of fun On The Track with an A2
Nice Pics .....
You Should put some in the Gallery Section ........

Sorry to Hijack your post

But just looking at the black A2 pic, Where would you get the Chrome lower section?

Emm

Its self adhesive chrome trim that you get on a roll.
You have to cut and shape individual lenghts of it to fit the lower grill opening.
Theres normally quite a few sellers on fleabay flogging it.

driveforward said:
I didn't realise another A2 was there:

I didn't see you, but I remember the black one at the 'Ring, I was there with my Elise :)

Chrome Lower Section

driveforward said:
No problem, I'm quite intrigued as well :)

I used the adhesive trim from Halfords and cut it to fit, you can just see it in the picture at the header of the page second A2 in, from what i remember you should get 4 A2s from a roll.

Will link to picture when I find it.

herusix said:
Its self adhesive chrome trim that you get on a roll.
I don't think it is tbh, the self adhesive chrome trim is thinner, whereas this looks like a solid, single piece, thick plastic surround. Like those on the lower grilles of RS6's etc.

P1130281.jpg

My thoughts are that it is a genuine grille from Audi that has been modded with slots etc to fit the lower area of the A2 bumper...

The black A2 is driven by one of the members of the german A2 forum (A2TDI, his name is Thomas). As far as I can remember, the lower grille came from an Audi cabriolet....

Bye, Frido.

frido said:
The black A2 is driven by one of the members of the german A2 forum (A2TDI, his name is Thomas). As far as I can remember, the lower grille came from an Audi cabriolet....

Bye, Frido.

Hi,

the lower grille is the original Audi A2 grill. The Chrome Trim is from ATU and produced by Richter in germany. There is an RS6 look aluminum race grille inside. By this grille the intercooler gets more cool air.

@driveforward:
I've seen your A2, but nobody stood thereby.

@all:
It isnt black, its brillantblue ;) The smoke from the exhaust makes it black :D

Thomas

Last edited:
Back