Fog Light Query

rdufton

Hi all,

I am new to this forum and hope that I am A) posting in the right place! and B) not just resurrecting some old thread (I did do a search just in case and couldnt find anything!!). Basically I am looking for some help. I have a 2004 1.4 TDI 75bhp A2 and have just had to fork out £130 for a new front fog light after a stone destroyed the last one. What I want is some form of protective covering for the fog lights to stop me having to replace them again as they cost silly money!! Has anyone come across any such thing - I have thought about getting plastic sheeting and trying to manufacture something myself but I would hate to spoil the looks by hashing something together.

Cheers,
RDufton

Hi RDufton, welcome to the A2oc
Your post is in the right place and the fact you have taken the trouble to search the archives is much appreciated. Unfortunately I don't recall any of our members having found a source for fog light protecors.
Can anyone help ?

Cheers Spike

The best option I can think of would be to buy a dirt cheap pair of headlamp protectors off Ebay - any will do, then cut out the shape you need and adhere the newly-fashioned protectors to the black surround with clear silicone.

Don't try to adhere to the glass, as it will melt/burn the silicone and anyway, I doubt you could get such a convex shape out of a standard headlamp protector.

Cheers,

Mike

Cheers for the replies... looks like I will be fashioning my own then... I will try a couple of the local car shops and see if they can suggest anything first.... was never very good at the whole cutting and sticking thing!! I will let you know how it goes!!

Film sounds good, but on a backdrop of glass would it be effective other then to hold together a shattered piece of glass. The force of the impact I think is the problem here, and diverting that energy would be best served by a rigid construction separate to the glass itself.

Or am I getting this all wrong? I'm thinking of stones on windscreens here, despite lamination, they can still crack.

A2Look said:
Film sounds good, but on a backdrop of glass would it be effective other then to hold together a shattered piece of glass. The force of the impact I think is the problem here, and diverting that energy would be best served by a rigid construction separate to the glass itself.

Or am I getting this all wrong? I'm thinking of stones on windscreens here, despite lamination, they can still crack.

The main purpose of my film is to stop small particles, like sand, small stones and such from blastering the front of the car. In the winter time they put sand on the road here that makes the front of the car look very nasty unless protected.

Xiter said:
The main purpose of my film is to stop small particles, like sand, small stones and such from blastering the front of the car. In the winter time they put sand on the road here that makes the front of the car look very nasty unless protected.

Yep, and I guess its pretty good for that purpose - however for the purposes of glass protection from impact I think it would be less successful.

This is what I put on the headlights and the bonnet.
I've had it for 2 years and almost 30000 miles (50000kms)
whit no bad effects and not a single particle has penetrated it as far
as I can tell. Not a single stone chip!

http://www.ventureshield.com/

Back