Flat spot on my 1.4S

justgti

Can any one help i have recently purchased a 2001 1.4 A2 with 25000 Miles on it and full Audi History yet when you pull off from standing it has the biggest flat spot i have every felt, when the cars at speed its fine it seems to be at low speed can anyone help??

And i have a slight knocking coming from the front end any ideas please let me know. apart from that i love the car and it got one of the best build qualities i`ve seen on a small car.
Please help as i dont want to got to Audi and have to pay a fortune to get someone to look at it..

Thanks Again Justin

Justin, in my opinion the weak performance at low revs is somehow related to the wireless throttle.
It seems like the ECU isn't "fast" enough coping with how your right foot moves.
When you get used to this, the performance improves: try to anticipate a little bit your right foot movements, compensating the "throttle lag".

spike said:
Hi Andi
There have been several posts relating to this problem. Some owners feel the lack of power is made worse when the aircon is switched on
Check out the attached link
http://www.a2oc.net/forum/showthread.php?t=4162&highlight=power

Cheers Spike

Hi Spike :)

Uhm... Actually I totally agree with you - probably my poor English has led to a misunderstanding.

In my opinion:
1) the 1.4 petrol engine is not "torquey" at all at low revs (this is for sure)
2) the electronic throttle pedal response definitely sucks (sorry to be so sincere, but there's a loooooong lag when you push it)
3) the clutch is not the easiest to use (especially if you're not used to it)
4) the aircon uses too much power

The sum of these 4 facts produces what Justin described (and is confirmed in the linked thread).

IMHO if you learn to drive differently (i.e. if you "anticipate" the throttle lag and if you get used to the clutch), #1 and #4 will still be true, but things will get better :eek:

Hi Andi,
It was my mistake - I meant to address the mail to justin and put your name instead.
As regards your English, it is excellent. I noted the Milano location but assumed English was your first language and you had moved there from the UK.

Cheers Spike

Hi Justin
Re the knocking noise. As ULP suggested, it is likely to be the front suspension - either the anti-rollbar bushes or the rollbar drop links - these are rods about 300mmm long with a ball joint at each end and connect the rollbar to the suspension struts

Cheers Spike

Back