Engine management light on

justgti

Hi its me again thanks for your help on my last topic my Audi`s banging on the front end has now stopped..
My new problem is today i was driving around town in my A2 1.4 when my wife decided we needed to call at tesco so we pulled into the car park where i sat in the car, i left it running on idle for about 10 mins when she came out and i put the car in reverse and started to pull of when it stalled so i tried to start it again and it cut out then a light came on on the dash i think it said EPT and a steering wheel light flashed on my DIS i turned the ignition on and off again a couple of times and the light went off but the ECU light has stayed on, i drove home fine about 20 miles no problem but now the ECU light is on permenent is this a common problem and will i have to take it to a dealer to have it taken of?? Please help as i don`t know what to do next .

Many Thanks Justin

well now that is strange.The same thing happened to me today but I had the EPC light and engine management light coming on. Turned off the engine and restarted EPC light went out but engine management light stayed on. After driving around 25 miles light now gone out. Drove ok while light was on so didnt think there was much of a problem it has happened to me before back in feb this year. maybe you need to drive a bit longer to see if that makes the engine management light go out.

Well - if it's any comfort, the engine management light on my Octavia 1.8 Turbo has been on for about 8 months /8000 miles.

The problem is that this light can come on for (probably) hundreds of reasons a few of which are serious and many of which are trivial. I work on the basis that you'd know if anything was seriously wrong by the way it drove / unusual instrument readings / heavy fuel consumption or whatever.

The engine management light was (in my opinion) a wonderful addition devised by the car manufacturers to get the car back into the dealers at regular intervals. Cynical - yes. True - probably!!!!

Mike

Back