A2 Questions from a Potential Owner

mjs4x4

A2OC Donor
Hi,

I am a new member - thinking of buying an A2 - a 3-5 year old model as a second car. I have read a few threads on this site to get a feel for the things to look for and the things to avoid.

A few comments on the following would be appreciated:

1. Blind Spot

When I test drove an A2 s few years ago, I was surprised at the compromised vision caused by the A Pillar. Recently I drove one again and it did not seem so bad (maybe because I drove a Seat Altea for a week which is worse!!)
In regular use - how much of a pain is this? I mean there is not much point in all the safety features if there is a big design flaw that might cause an accident!

2. Open Sky

This looks like a really nice option to have - but I am concerned to read a few threads suggesting they are troublesome and expensive to fix. Again, what is general experience on older cars? Are there any issues concerning leaks on Open Sky sunroofs?

3. 17" Alloys

Not to put too fine a point on it - these sound ****. Alloy wheels that seem to buckle when you hit a bad pot-hole? 16 inch alloys sound a much better bet?

4. Accident Damage / Insurance

Again, a few threads seem to suggest that A2's are easily written off if there is any damage to the space frame. That being the case I would have thought the insurance companies would have hiked premiums - but the insurance groups don't suggest this? Curious.

5. Sound Systems

Is there any difference in sound quality between Concert and Symphony? I appreciate that Symphony is more that single CD. A BOSE system would be nice - but have members improved sound quality just by replacing speakers with good aftermarket items?

6. Drum Brakes

It seems odd to find a post 2000 car with drum brakes on the rear. I would be looking at a 75bhp TDI - are they all drum braked or were later ones fitted with discs? It's a light car and some threads suggest the braking is good (in spite of rear drums). Comments?

7. Rear Wiper (lack of)

Appreciate that the tailgate shape made fitting a rear wiper damn near impossible. In reality - is it a problem not having one?

8. Ariel (lack of?)

Pretty much all other VW group cars of this era have the 'bee-sting' ariel - but not the A2. What does it have to get decent radio reception?

In passing - I read a couple of threads suggesting that Audi has a bit of a negative stance toward the A2 since they ceased production. I was at the Audi Museum at Ingolstadt a few weeks ago. You might have thought that they would have one as an exhibit - they didn't!!

Mike

Just a few replies to the questions raised:

1. Blind Spot

Vision is limited but you do end up looking around the pillars when approaching junctions.

4. Accident Damage / Insurance

Insurance is high but is offset by lower fuel consumption and road tax costs.

6. Drum Brakes

Brakes are good, just require a firm application, mine is a 75bhp 1.4 TDI and I find the stopping power adequate.

7. Rear Wiper (lack of)

Apply Rain-Ex to the windows and keep topped up and you should have clearer windows when travelling at 40mph +. Went down M6 in torrential rain last Thursday travelling around 50-60mph and did not get a drop on the window above the spolier (rear view - perfect) until I stopped at the A59 junction.

8. Ariel (lack of?)

I have a Chorus and sometimes it does adjust the tuning to another station on a similar frequency but it does generally not a have problem and the tuning is strong.

The A2 is was a positive car for the future but with anything radical it has a limited shelf-life which is a negative. I heard a rumour a few months ago that Audi were contemplating pushing A2 servicing to Skoda franchises, but nothing has reared its head yet, especially when mine requires a service soon.

Wookie

Thanks for those comments. Anybody else with some thoughts/advice on the questions posed?

Mike

Hi Mike

1) Visivbility is not perfect but you quickly get used to moving your head around more to compensate. Most newer cars have finally caught up - and are now just as bad !!!

2) I think only two members have had major problems with the Open Sky roof. When things go wrong with the operating mechanism it appears the whole frame which holds the glass panels has to be replaced. This requires a special jig and a few hours labour to fix. The key is to keep everything clean and well lubricated

3) 17" alloys. There is enough info in the archives to fill a book on this subject. They are very prone to buckling. The key reason, highlighted by our man Skipton, being the very shallow sidewall depth of the low profile tyres. The same rims are used on other Audi models but they use larger section tyres with a deeper sidewall which give better cushioning and rim protection from road shock.

5) From late 2002, the Symphony 2 head unit incorporated a 6CD changer (previously single disc) These models are said to have a better tuner with a diversity aeriel system for improved reception. Bose is good and for the small extra cost in a second hand car, definitely worth having. It has to be said however that many owners are more than happy with the Concert system.

6) The brakes are excellent. Now manufacturers have perfected ABS with rear drums I actually prefer them to discs. The handbrake tends to work better and long term they certainly need less maintenance- no siezed rear calipers and flaking discs etc due to lack of use. (You probably know that due to weight transfer under heavy braking, the back brakes only provide approx 10% of the braking effort)

7) At speed the rear window generally keeps clean above the spoiler but I do occasionally miss a rear wiper when driving slowly in bad weather. To me however, the nuisance value is minute

8) There is quite a complex amplified aeriel system built into the rear screen.
Later Concert models also have this I think.

Cheers Spike

Back