4 beeps after starting engine?

I would like to get peoples ideas as to a strange phenomena that has started recently on my A2.

About 3-5 seconds after starting the engine there are 4 loud 'beeps' emanating from the rear of the car - it sounds like it is coming from the under floor area where the battery and electrical gubbins are stored.

This has happened on and off for the last 3 weeks but this morning after the 4 beeps sounded, they increased in frequency into what I recognised as the alarm sounding! Remember this is while the engine is running. So I switched off the engine, hit the lock button on the remote to silence the alarm and restarted the car. Very bizarre.

I have a Y reg 2001 1.4SE, 70k, no parking sensors (as a friend first suggested it could be).

Anyone got any ideas as to what is causing this?

Many thanks,

James.

Do you have reverse sensors, If yes, are you starting in reverse gear? If yes then thats normal.

Hi James
Do you normally use the tailgate before opening any of the other doors. If so, its possible the microswitch in the boot lock is faulty, causing the alarm to go off.
Check the boot light is working. If it does not come on immediately the tailgate is opened, the switch is sticking. If it is the alarm, I don't understand why you only get 4 'beeps' but the microswitch theory is worth a try

Cheers Spike

Eagle said:
Do you have reverse sensors, If yes, are you starting in reverse gear? If yes then thats normal.

Eagle - as mentioned in my post there are no sensors on the car.

Spike - no I don't open the boot first, always the driver's door only. I will however check the bootlight tonight. But surely the alarm shouldn't go off whilst the engine is running?!!

Anyway, thank you both for your replies.

Sounds like a faulty alarm controller to me - that is the only unit back there capable of beeping, if you don't have reversing sensors.

Obviously, if it is a faulty unit, then it could quite easily be setting off the alarm whilst the car is running, so that's not a surprise.

Cheers,

Mike

Thanks Mike, that does sound like the probable cause. I guess it's a quick trip to the stealer for a quote - then get VW or an independant to do the work!

Jimbertmate said:
I would like to get peoples ideas as to a strange phenomena that has started recently on my A2.

About 3-5 seconds after starting the engine there are 4 loud 'beeps' emanating from the rear of the car - it sounds like it is coming from the under floor area where the battery and electrical gubbins are stored.

This has happened on and off for the last 3 weeks but this morning after the 4 beeps sounded, they increased in frequency into what I recognised as the alarm sounding! Remember this is while the engine is running. So I switched off the engine, hit the lock button on the remote to silence the alarm and restarted the car. Very bizarre.

I have a Y reg 2001 1.4SE, 70k, no parking sensors (as a friend first suggested it could be).

James i have the same problem in my 14 TDi the beeps sound like an old Ross alrm i had on a ford Capri just after the war

Are you sure there is no other warning flag on the DIS? Maybe your washer bottle is empty or oil level needs checking or a bulb has gone? Perhaps the fuel gauge thinks the tank is near empty?

Alas, I don't have DIS on my car and no other warnings appear on the dash when it happens.

I'm getting more convinced it is to to do with the alarm contoller though. Must take it in to be looked at....

My car alarm has started to occasionally gives 4 beeps after starting the engine. It is very intermittent and can go a few days without sounding then for no obvious reason it starts again.
I've been advised the 4 beeps is just a general 'warning' to make owners aware the alarm system is faulty. Also there is a small, non replaceable, back-up battery in the alarm unit located in the boot. This deteriorates with age and may be the cause of the warning beeps.
Skipton suggested it could be the alarm unit in previous posts but it would be helpful to hear from anyone who has had similar problems fixed.
Up till now a VagCom scan has not shown any stored fault codes.
I've also contacted Jimbermate. His car still has the problem but it has not developed into anything serious as yet. He plans to get it looked at when time allows

Cheers Spike

Hi Dave
Thanks for the info on similar problems with TT alarm sirens.
Access looks relatively easy on the TT but for the A2 it seems like much of the boot trim needs to be removed to get to the alarm. I have the service CD's but can't find much about the alarm system there.
Has anyone seen any removal guides on the German A2 club site ?
Any advice greatfully received

Cheers Spike

If you have the hands of a small child, then it is possible to remove the alarm box through the opening for the offside rear light cluster.

If not, then you need to remove the offside boot trim panel, which involves the removal of the boot back panel, the false floor bracket (if fitted), and the plastic trim around the offside passenger door, which necessitates the removal of the seat.

Once in, there is a single nut (14mm from memory) holding the black box in place, and a 3-pin connector for the wiring. Remove this and fit the new box. Installation is the reverse of removal (as they say!).

Cheers,

Mike

Hi Mike
Thanks for the info. I was convinced it was on the passenger side - having fitted the boot mounted CD changer a couple of years ago and having no recollection of seeing the siren behind the trim. The removable trim for acces to the rear light is a fair bit larger with the CD changer side panel installed so hopefully I might just be able to get to the siren without needing the major strip-down.

Cheers Spike

Alarm siren replacement
-----------------------
Although still random, the beeping alarm was getting to me so I bought a new siren unit at the weekend. The Dealer had 2 in stock, suggesting this is a fairly common problem. The original part 8LO.951.605 had been superceded by 8LO.951.605A. List price is £68.29+vat. The TT link above warned about the centre bolt changing from M6 to M8 so I was aware the bracket would need drilling out. A larger nut is also required as none comes with the siren.
As Skipton said, the alarm is located on the drivers side, directly below the rear light unit. Thankfully I have the boot mounted CD changer and the removable panel for access to the rear light bulbs is larger than the standard one. Once the moulded sponge insulation was pushed to one side, it was just possible to see the alarm unit. Spanner and hand access is very tight but I was able to get a 10mm offset ring key onto the nut. Once removed the unit can be lifted out and unplugged. The bracket is held in place by a single bolt and after pushing more sponge out of the way, access was relatively easy. A second hole in the bracket locates over a large guide pin and it took a bit of jiggling to release it. The bracket hole was drilled out to suit the new siren.
Replacement was easier as the new unit is slimmer, though I did have to play about with the wiring loom to prevent the cable pulling tight when the connector was plugged in.
No coding of the module was required

It's early days but the alarm is working normally again

Cheers Spike

Fingers crossed for you Spike - fairly cheap fix (by Audi standards) if it's done the trick.

Can't believe that I mistook a 10mm nut for a 14mm one though!

Cheers,
Mike

Hi Mike
You were correct on the nut size. My 2001 car had the old style alarm module with the small dia fixing stud. The replacement unit, which is no doubt the same as your later car, had the larger dia stud and nut.

For future reference, cars without the boot mounted CD changer and associated side trim with larger access panel will almost certainly need to remove most of the boot trim panels to get to the alarm. For anyone interested, this is covered in Shezlee's fitting guide for the CD changer
(See Forum under fitting guides)

Cheers Spike

Can anyone confirm that changing this alarm module fixed the four beeps as mine has started to do this now. It mainly happens when I haven't used it for a few days so it would tie in with a dodgy rechargeable battery.

I did mention it when I took it in to have the cambelt changed recently but the dealer didn't suggest anything.

Thanks

Richard

Back