What SHould The A2 Have Been Called?

Skipton01

Admin Team
In an interesting (if somewhat erroneous) editorial article in the current issue of Audi Driver, a possible contributing factor towards the early demise of the A2 was identified as the car being mis-named!

Basically, the argument goes like this:

People buy Audis based on their heirarchical number system, so an A8 is seen as being superior to an A6, which in turn is better than an A4, which is better than an A3 and hey presto, the A2 sits at the bottom. However, the A2 was not cheaper to buy than many A3s and so it's perceived status led many people and potential buyers to opt for an A3 instead.

The author goes on to say that it should have been given a name which was outside the normal structure, such as the TT for example. This would have reflected its ultra-advanced and sophisticated nature, rather than it's physical stature.

So, what do people think? For my money, they should have stuch with the concept name: AL2, or even just the AL (a lower-case L may have been mistaken for a 1).

Over to you lot!

Cheers,

Mike

My initial response was going to be the Audi AS (Aluminium Spaceframe) with the 'S' possibly implying sporty credentials for the more stupid consumers. However I realised that 'AS' could get also confused with 'as' or worse still 'ASS'.

So without too much further thought I now suggest the Audi AE (economy). I bet others do better! :)

AE is American Express....
How about P4? Premium 4-seater. Exactly how I see my A2.

Doesn't matter what name it was, it would have been compared to the A-Class anyway! So people would have pitched the car as one class lower than the A3. On the point about the A3, A2 failed because the A3 1.6 basic was about the same price as an A2 1.6 SE. Most would opt for the bigger, except for the likes of us who understands the benifits of the A2. Also, Merc didn't have the B Class back then to compete against its own range. Now would people go for a B at 20k+ or a C for similar money? The B is very much a spacious and practical car compared to the C...

I like the name A2 because it includes the car in with the fantastic model range including A8 and A6.

I have always considered the A-Class to be a poor man's Mercedes and in the Audi line up I would put the A3 in there.

I do understand that the A2 is more of a niche car than an A-Class or A3.

If anyone knows basic french pronunciation they will understand why Toyota decided to call the MR2 the M2 in France.

Cubed? Root?

The A2 appeals to thinkers and those that are a little discerning.

It is shaped like a box or cube (though a very nice one) and shares much with the A8 in technology and ethos.

The cube root of 8 is 2. (2 x 2 x 2).

:confused:

So A2 cubed would refer to the shape and the A8.

Calling it root 8 (forgive the absence of the root sign) would allow a comparison so an condensed A8.

Just a thought

I think Audi Alutron would have been good,oh wait wait.. how about Super Lux Space Frame ala Japanese naming

Maybe the AL2 would have made people more aware of the uniqueness of the car without upsetting the numbering system.

At the time the A2 was being developed and launched Audi and Volkswagen group in general were being severely critisized for not diffentiating enough between the brands. Engines were shared accross the group as well as many, many hidden and visible components. Then look at the prices being charged. An A3 was £2-3K more than a Golf which in turn was more than the SEAT Leon and that again was pricier than the Skoda Octavia. All shared same engines (OK sometimes with lower output) and major components. How to justify Audi? Make the bodies different. The A8 was the first ASF, the A2 was an experiment in many ways. Can an aluminium lightweight body be massed produced cost effectively? The A2 was the right model to choose as the A4 and A6 were the main bread winners with high volumes and too much to risk, at least as the first step. The current A6 was planned to be an ASF but development was stopped due to cost. It has aluminium parts but no space frame. A shame but there are reasons for this and not the cost of aluminium alone.

So the A2 had to be mainstream but I agree with Mike that this will have held back sales as the perception of the vehicle in the market was of the smallest, cheapest and many potential buyers will have been put off by the price. Perhaps the AL2 moniker would have benn better. Hindsight is always better!

When you say 'AL2' in your head, are you saying the letters distinctly, (like 'ey-ell-too' or are you saying 'Al' like the shortened version of the first name of that bloke Sugar on telly who sacks people?

Audi A2B

Audi A2E (as in Economy)

Audi Razor (cause most old Aluminum aeroplanes seem to become razor blades)

Audi ECO

Audi B1 ( for a fresh start at the alphabet!)

Back