glove box

Hi all

Thought someone might be able to shine some light on this (skipton probably with his workshop cd's :)

Is is possible to take apart the glovebox door?
Mine locked itself shut a few weeks ago, I managed (finally) to open it, on of the lugs that retract into the door when you use the handle is not retracting, so I my glovebox only shuts on the remaining lug (have a look you'll see what I mean!).

Can I get inside the door? is there any parts to replace? or is it non fixable?

cheers ears

bba

The diagrams in ETOS and ETKA show the glovebox and door being one piece, with no replacements listed which pertain to the locking mechanism.

Sorry, but if it's bust anyway, there's no harm in trying a fix, then just get another from a breakers if it doesn't work.

Cheers,

Mike

Hi bba
Just to endorse Skipton's mail, the glove box light switch broke on my car and I was amazed to find that no spares are available. Audi only sell the complete glove box at around £200
I removed the box and found the small plastic arm which works the switch contacts had broken. This was successfully repaired with Araldite.

Cheers Spike

hi guys, my glove box door keeps opening when i go over humps.It gets really annoying having to shut it all the time, so i ended up wedgeing some paper down the side of it.

Any ideas why it keeps opening and also some help on whay i could do to fix it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in Advance

spike said:
Hi bba
Just to endorse Skipton's mail, the glove box light switch broke on my car and I was amazed to find that no spares are available. Audi only sell the complete glove box at around £200
I removed the box and found the small plastic arm which works the switch contacts had broken. This was successfully repaired with Araldite.

Cheers Spike
Same thing happened to me, was told 'it's not covered by the warranty as it's broken' just how does a part sited where it is get broken! so when I fitted my bluetooth & Sony HD5 connector I just glued it back on, Spike, how did yours get 'broken'?

Hi tdiman
The switch design is poor. As you know,the plastic arm hinges with the glovebox lid, opening and closing the switch contacts as the lid is shut or opened. There is a small rubber bung which acts as a stop for the switch arm but due to moulding tolerances, the arm was taking the weight of the lid each time it was opened. After glueing up the arm I removed the rubber bung to prevent the arm being continually stressed. The repair was done 9 months ago and is still ok.
My car is a 2001 model so i'm not sure if the design has been changed.

Cheers Spike

Last edited:
Back