service intervals...

adamski

Picked up my a2 tdi and service book shows its been serviced twice in four years, at 18000 miles (in 2003) and 22500 miles (four year service or 30000km) in April 06, both have long life service box ticked in the service book. I have checked the service indicator and it says i have 9100 miles to go until its next service? Do you think this has been reset wrong? or is this car not on variable service and on inspection intervals instead?

Thanks
Adam

That sounds about right as when set for VSI, the time between services can be up to 32,000miles (for TDi) or 2 years - whichever comes sooner.
Sounds like the car only did 4500 miles between years 2 and 4.
If the car is set for VSI and has not been driven much since the service, the miles to go indicator should rise once the car is being used regularly.

Hi Adam

I had my TDI on VSI serviced at the beginning of June this year when it was exactly 2 years old and having done just over 23K miles.

As of today (4 months later) the mileage is 26K and the distance to next service is almost 14K. A bit of a shock as I was expecting about 20K.

But having done 3K miles in 4 months then on the same basis I will do 15K over the next 20 months up to the second full service at the 4 year point.

So it looks like the VSI has time built into it's calculation.

I believe that the VSI takes into account the number of journies and their length, so that lots of short journies reduces the service interval. If that is true, then I'm wondering whether I shouldn't turn of the engine when waiting at some traffic lights. At some lights I know, the cycle time can be quite a few minutes, so turning off the engine saves fuel and the planet. But if that comes at the expense of more frequent services then it may cost more than the fuel saved!

service display

Hi

I have just checked the service counter and its jumped from 9400 until its service to 4700 miles, and I have only done 300 miles.... but this would take the miles to just under 30k, so now I am wondering if the indicator hasnt been reset? looks like a trip to audi...

Adam

service

Hi

Thanks for that ULP... I do about 90 miles a day commuting on motorway so definately gets warm- only just though, seems to take ages!!! so will keep my eyes peeled

Thanks for all the help
Adam

Don't forget that service books are only half the story, if you don't have the invoices check with the garage(s) that carried out the service that the service was actually done as indicated in the service book (They might screen data protection but tell them you're thinking of bringing to them!).

and also, don't forget that the service indicator can be reset from the dashboard - (its in the owners manual!). When its reset it initally resets to 9000 ish miles (15k KM) and then adjusts or not dependent on fixed or variable and driving pattern

I'm not saying people/dealers are ever dishonest but I once heard a "story" that an MBZ dealer (when they weren't owned by MBZ itself) who had a BMW service stamp from a dealer that they bought and stamped up all of their BMW trade-ins. So reseting the service interval from the dash isn't going to seem so bad is it?

I'd Just keep an eye on the mileage. As for the dealers, our A6 was on variable, was mistakenly reset on fixed (why on earth were they recoding it?) and back again and its never been the same since (service intervals are now very much shorter)

Regards

Jonathan

Jonathan - when manually reset, the service indicator will always be on fixed service interval (9k Miles, 15k km). Only the dealer can set it to VSI, in which case it will show 9k mi (15k km) to the first service for the first 300 mi (500 km) or so, then (hopefully) start moving up at the first recalc.

Back