Parking Sensors

Mutley

Being the proud owner of a 54 1.4 TDI 90 SE for about 4 days now I'd thought I say hello and post something on this great site.

My A2 doesn't have rear parking sensors and I would like to know if the quote of £495 from my local dealer complete including fitting and painting is a good price?

Thanks in advance

I wouldn't bother, the genuine Audi ones on mine go to a solid beep when you are over a foot away, probably so you can open the boot if you are parked upto a vertical surface, this means you can get into smaller spaces by simply using your mirrors and judgement.

Skipton has retrofitted it to his Tank - not sure how much it cost though.

Thought I would need some of these myself, after having a test drive before I bought my A2.So, bought some from ebay for £40,good colour match and simple enough to wire up......but have found I did'nt really need them.Parking is a doddle,Will get round to doing one day tho :D , bit harder now to park now I've had my windows tinted.

If you can source the parts on Ebay (4 x sensors and a controller), add in the wiring (which you'll have to make yourself), then the job should come in at about £200.

From my experiences of fitting the genuine Audi stuff, I'd take their arm off for that price - they're quoting about 2 hours labour and it's a much bigger job than that. I know A2s inside out and can do most things quicker than the average Audi technician, but it took me 6 hours to get everything wired in.

Cheers,

Mike

I find my parking sensors very useful. I fitted them to the Volvo myself, but the A2 were specced from new. I really wouldn't be without them, it's not only rear view, its low thingys in the ground like posts and concrete blocks. My MG suffered rear bumper damage from a post 1 foot high, I've had parking sensors ever since 'cos they are cheaper than bumpers!

I've not fitted any sensors yet - must say I find the A2 difficult - can't see the front corners and can't see the bonnet of a car behind! Anyway, whilst window shopping on the net I was intrigued by these:

"Taurus T243P
Using Electro-Magnetic Technology, the T243P will scan the full length of your bumper, from end to end. The Antenna is avery strong flexible adhesive tape that mounts behind the inner side of your plastic bumper preserving the original aesthetic look of your vehicle." £100
http://www.caraudioplus.co.uk/Parking_Sensors/Taurus_T243P_Parking_Sensor

Anyone any experience of this sensor? I presume the whole A2 bumper is plastic. Perhaps they might even work on the front.

I was toying with getting this product too, but decided to stick with the original kit - if it's good enough for a £50k A8, then it's good enough (just!) for Tank!

I can see no reason for it not to work, however, how would you activate the front sensor? Either it'd be on constantly, or you'd need to install a switch somewhere and getting wiring into the engine bay on the A2 isn't the easiest task in the workd!

Cheers,

Mike

one thing I always wondered - is why don't manufacturers set up the sensors to activate whenever the car is moving backwards - instead of only when reverse is engaged.

this would be easy to do - and save grief - I know it would've saved me a claim whilst on certain steep costal road in Cornwall (A4 mind, not the A2)

Thanks for all your advice, I think I will have my local Audi go ahead and fit them, especially after what Skipton said about the labor involved and the price they quoted me.

Once again many thanks.

Back