tdi 90 identification help

Pompeydave

A2OC Donor
Am I right in thinking that the tdi 90 can be identified by a red 'I' on the 'tdi' script on the tailgate? Been looking at a 90 that hasn't got a red 'I', but the logbook clearly shows it as a 90. Not sure now whether it's a 90 or not. Any idea's anyone? :confused:

Ok thanks for that. Is the 90 just a chipped 75? Someone on here a while back was suggesting the 90 had a different turbo and gearing, but no-one seemed to know if this was just a guess or 100% accurate? If it's just a chipping issue I'll save a lot of aggro and just go for a 75......

Tank is indeed quite animalistic by nature!

On the way home tonight (9.30pm empty wet roads) he was wheel spinning in third!

Cheers,

Mike

Ok, thanks for the info, it certainly fills in a few blanks. One last point though- is the gearing the same between 75 and 90?

Nope - gearing is very slightly different on the 90 - slightly more relaxed at motorway speeds (about 300rpm difference at 70mph).

Cheers,

Mike

Ok, cheers for that. The higher gearing makes a 90 more attractive. I've looked around and it seems that there are an awful lot of dealers out there that are passing 75's off as 90's. Am I correct in thinking that officially, the 90 wasn't available until 2003? There seem to be a load of pre 2003 90's on Autotrader...

Very late 2003 or actually, maybe even 2004.

I remember testing one shortly after they became available and it was spring 2004 - I ordered Tank shortly after this in early summer.

Cheers,

Mike

Back