Subwoofer with a standard head unit

m i k e

I'm wondering as i'm pretty sure that i've heard of it being done with some options of the A2's stock headunit, on whether it's possible to fit an active sub to the standard headunit. It's bugging me even more that i can't think of who it is that /might/ have done it before too?

Cheers,

Mike

Seems i might be following you with a few things here, now that i'm currently waiting on saturday to get my brembo/green stuff brake set up installed and i do infact have a concert II and rear speakers. How easy/hard is it to do?

Cheers!

The brakes are worth it :)

To fit the amp you need to pull out the stereo to reference the pin outs on the back which are marked. Open up the underfloor compartment on the drivers side, where the amp for the rear speakers is fitted. Using the pin out on the HU as reference, find the colour coded input wires for the rear amp and use these to splice into for an input for your amp. You will need left and right rear channels and the signal 'on' wire. I fitted my amp in the underfloor space, running power from the battery at the rear, then ran the speaker cable back to the boot from under the drivers side floor. You may want to just run the signal wires that you take from the 'input splicing' of the rear speaker amp, straight to the boot to install your amp and sub there to save on power and speaker cable. I did not do this as my original plan was to supply the amp with power from the points under the passenger footwell, however they do not provide sufficient current. The benefit of wiring things the way I did is that it's easy to just unplug the subbox without worrying about loads of wires and live supply connectors left floating in the boot

Last edited:
Hiya mate,

Sorry for the late reply, so would you say it's quite easy? I can fit head units and i've fitted subs and amps before, just not sure on this whole malarky of splicing wires, spilicing with me would normally mean i screw up the wiring lol. At the moment i'm watching a new head unit and active vibe sub on ebay so i'll see how the head unit goes for now as this would solve me problem with the wiring of a sub!

On another note, how long would you say it would take to fit the sub to an audi head unit like you've already done?

Cheers,

Mike

m i k e said:
At the moment i'm watching a new head unit and active vibe sub on ebay so i'll see how the head unit goes for now as this would solve me problem with the wiring of a sub!

On another note, how long would you say it would take to fit the sub to an audi head unit like you've already done?

Cheers,

Mike
It really isn't a difficult job, just takes a while to run cables - which you'll have to do whatever option you choose. Personally, I'd stick with the Audi HU as OEM always looks best and if you have DIS the info will still display in the dials.

The sound quality is good from the Concert II and it does work well with the sub. Splicing wires is easy - you could even cut them and use terminal blocks if you didn't want to solder.

I do agree that the OEM HU would look better, but looking at my HU a few mins ago, it only says Concert so for a concert II HU i'm guessing it would have to have the 'II'. Would the wiring still be the same for this HU? As for another HU, i don't have DIS so it wouldn't cause me any problems there.

Mike

Ahh right so it will probably be a Concert II, well i'm looking at it like this, if i don't manage to get this HU i'll buy a sub instead and try to hook it up with my Concert II :)

Cheers mate!

Back