A Key Question?

dickhilt

My new A2 comes with only one remote and I'm not prepared to pay the thick end of £200 for a new one from Audi. Extortionate or what?

I am thinking of buying a used one off the dreaded eBay with a new blade. I have the part number and wondered if it was possible to re-program the remote to the car without going to the dealer (quote for re-programming "around £60!)

Now to put that into perspective, Saab fitted and programmed an upgraded ECU to my previous 9-5 for £35 + VAT.

Hiya,

You can quite easily reprogram any fob to the car (as long as it's the right sort) but you'll never be able to match the key to the immobiliser.

The only way to do this is to visit a dealer unfortunately. What they do is put the key in the car, link the car to their computer and then their computer dials German Audi HQs computer who squirts the required info directly into the new key.

Dealers used to be able to do this reprogramming manually, using what is known as an SKC code, but to combat potential naughtiness, Audi decided to keep everything out of sight of humans!

Cheers,

Mike

Thanks Spike.

I'd read a few threads about second hand remotes but couldn't seem to find a definitive answer.

My local locksmith says he's able to cut the key for around £8.50 and the fob should cost around £30 quid. Sadly it looks like the only way to programme it is via the dealer.

On the fob front, my car has a three button fob with the part number 8Z0837231. If I were to buy a fob with this part number would it be ok or do I have to take the other numbers into account? (Something like 355029)

Hi dickhilt
You may already know that part nos starting with 8Z are A2 specific but i've read nothing about key types. It is likely to be the right one but i'm not sure if the quoted part number is what you need.

Cheers Spike

It really is the safest bet to get the dealer to do it all. I know it's also the most expensive option (and I'm not usually one to spring to the aid of the dealer!) but shop around and you'll find it cheaper. Try Leeds Audi, just up the road from you - they're a trade centre and are cheaper than the usual franchise.

Why not quote parts of this thread and ask for free coding if you buy the key from them.

Just imagine - you buy a blank key and fob on Ebay for £35, get it cut for another £8.50 only to find that no-one will code it for you - £43.50 down the drain!

Cheers,

Mike

Fair Point Mike!

I'll make a quick phone call.
It was Wakefield Audi who quoted £60 plus for coding but said that the key would have to go to Leeds Audi for cutting.

It does seem strange in these days of competition that a dealer can effectively hold a monopoly on something like this and charge what they like.
I can only compare it to Saab, who have not exactly got a reputation for cheap servicing! The ECU is behind a panel at the rear of the engine compartment and bolted to the bulkhead. To remove the old ECU, re-program a used performance upgrade ECU (supplied by myself) and program it to the car, replace it and test it was charged at half an hours labour £35 plus vat. I found that very reasonable.

I rang a reputable local auto-electrician who said that they used to be able to do it but VW/Audi have effectively stopped them as the coding is all done with a direct link from the main dealer to Audi in Germany.

Back