Spring Noises

:confused: Hello out there. Can anyone help. Our A2 developed a stange boing noise which came from the nearside wheel which was identified as a broken spring by our local independent garage. The spring was replaced but it is still making a stange boing noise when we turn the steeing wheel lock-to-lock. The garage said it just needed lubricating as the spring simple sits on a rubber/metal panel ??.
So........
  • Has anyone else expereinced something similar ?
  • Does anyone know what the problem/solution is ?
  • Has the local garage missed something ?
Thanks

I Have just changed all the springs on my car as one of mine broke ,
I really cant see that once you have the spring changed why you should get any boing noises ,the Spring is flat on each end and it sits top and bottom in what i can only describe as a metal saucer either end ...

There is not a lot that you can lubricate as far as the spring goes
perhaps it has something to do with the original damper ,or you could try jacking up the car have a look at the springs on both sides and see if they are flat top and bottom and see that there are no obstructions such as a stone ,that may have got trapped in there ,maybe the spring on the other side has snapped as well .

What happens is the top 4" snaps of off the spring and you get a point which when you turn the steering wheel catches on the saucer which recreates the boing noise ........

If you can jack the car up on some stands get someone to turn the steering wheel why you take a look at the springs then you should be able to see where the boing noise comes from ........

Hope this helps .......

Hi SilverA2Silver,

Yes, but I'm not sure I can be a lot of help. I have had two boing type problems with the front suspension. The second one was a broken coil spring as described above, 3 inches broke off the end of the NS spring. The first boing was what was described by the Audi dealer as a spring located where the two front suspensions link together??? I have looked at diagrams of the suspension but I have never seen the spring in the illustrations, so to this day I am none the wiser. I have also had the anti-rollbar replaced and the bushes on the drop bar now need doing. I love my A2, but it ain't easy sometimes...

John.

silverA2silver said:
:confused: Hello out there. Can anyone help. Our A2 developed a stange boing noise which came from the nearside wheel which was identified as a broken spring by our local independent garage. The spring was replaced but it is still making a stange boing noise when we turn the steeing wheel lock-to-lock. The garage said it just needed lubricating as the spring simple sits on a rubber/metal panel ??.
So........
  • Has anyone else expereinced something similar ?
  • Does anyone know what the problem/solution is ?
  • Has the local garage missed something ?
Thanks

Belated reply as I have only just seen this thread. I suspect that they only replaced the spring and NOT the top bearing. The bearing is seized or semi-seized, hence the noise - it can be the only cause of the noise you describe. You must get it replaced if you haven't done so yet. The bearing is about £10. They should fit it free as they shouldn't have re-fitted a seized one. Telling you it needs lubrication is laughable. They're cowboys, judging by your comments.

Incidentally, the "boing" noise is caused by you turning the wheel, which turns the McPherson strut, which turns the bottom end of the spring. Now with a bearing in good condition, the top end of the spring will turn smoothly and silently with the bottom. However, if the bearing is seized it can't, so tension builds as you turn it until it can't resist the forces any more, and - "boing"!

Mark

Mr K is quite right, tha same thing happened on my Alfa 164, changed under warranty and problem cured, they really should have checked the bearings as a matter of course.

Funnily enough the car I had the strut bearings fail on was a 164! I think it was the only thing that went wrong in 3 years and 30k miles (90 to 120k).

Mark

driveforward said:
I get a 'clunky boing' when switching to righthand lock when reversing, also from the nearside wheel..

I also get a 'clunky boing' when turning in reverse... Did you ever find out what was wrong?

Mr Smurf said:
I also get a 'clunky boing' when turning in reverse... Did you ever find out what was wrong?
If the boing is from the front and only when turning the wheel whilst stationary, then it is almost certainly the strut bearings which are sticking. Mine are starting to do it at 36k miles.

If the boing is from the back, then dunno, as there are no bearings there.

Cheers,

Mike

Skipton01 said:
If the boing is from the front and only when turning the wheel whilst stationary, then it is almost certainly the strut bearings which are sticking. Mine are starting to do it at 36k miles.

The boing is from the front right ride...

Is it enough to replace the strut bearings, and do you know what part number they have?

Thanks
Ingemar

The part number for the front strut bearing is 6N0 412 249 C, that is for ALL models of A2. You will need 2 of these, one per side.

Cheers,

Mike

Back