front grill no opening

04speed

hi i am wondering can anyone help my front grill will no release when i pull the cord, does anyone know what else i can do to get it open
thanks

When I pull my bonnet release catch you can't feel or hear it release, but, when I pull down hard with my fingertips on the top of the inspection panel - it opens.

HTH.

Phil

Mine was the same - had to pull hard at the top - and I got the dealer to do it under warranty - I did ask what it was and I think they just spray the catch with a bit of WD40 (oh and probably charge you £50 for doing so).

Hi 04speed
If you can get someone to help, push the front grill towards the closed position while the helper pulls the release lever, then try to open it.

Cheers Spike

I had the exact same problem, spike's suggestion is what you need really. It gets stuck because of the friction on the lock. After you've opened it, a bit of WD40 may help.

My service panel was almost impossible to open from new unless I pulled so hard on the handle that I expected the cable to snap. There is no cable adjustment at all and grease or WD40 was useless. The dealer sorted it by adjusting the hinge to slide the panel just slightly in the approriate direction. It only takes a few mniutes.

Service Flap

Hi 04Speed,

I too had success with Spikes solution. The problem appeared to be lack of lubrication, which is only to be expected given the location and the dirt which finds its way into the latch. While topping up the oil, I simply worked some into the latch and there hasn't been a problem since.

John.

hi,

just got and fitted the new type inpection flap on my a2 and it woudnt open either.
once you eventually bust it open if you get someone else to pull the handle you can see that the bolt that is meant to be pulled back in the bonnet to release the flap does not fully retract and thefore still holds the flap but only just. i simply took a slice of the plastic part that is held in place by the bolt using a stanley knife so that it gets released even though the bolt does not get full retracted and it works fine now.
this may look like gibberish but if you have a look you will see what i mean and the plastic part i took a slice of is only held in with one screw so its easily removed to do the job.

Don.

Back