Please may i come in?....

Well, im moderately extatic, as i have just traded the polo in for a 2003 A2 1.6FSI in crystal blue...as soon as the garage have it ready i will be be one of you lot...now where do i get my stickers??? ill have to convert the other 2 A2s in my office car park - well, their owners anyway....i cant wait to pick it up.

No doubt i'll be on the forum regularly to get some tips, just thought id say hi. Im in Manchester by the way.

Simon

Welcome Simon,

I echo Chris's comments!!:D

In the past I have owned far more powerful and in some respects better specced vehicles in my time - but nothing compares to owning and driving an A2. The build quality and innovation of the car is light years above anything else on our roads.

I always have a smile on my face at the thought of driving the car and the 'behind the wheel' experience pleasure is to be believed.

Well done on a great choice of car - you won't regret it!!;)

Regards,

Darren

Hi Simon,

Greetings from a fellow Manchester owner!

I am sure that the feeling you have now will last for a good many years - I know I still get a buzz when I walk up to Tank after 2 years! (and nearly 5 years as an A2 owner).

If there's ever anything I can do for you (VAG-COM etc) don't be afraid to ask.

Cheers,

Mike

Well, Smith Knight Fay called me today, and im going in on Friday to do the deal, just in time for a weekend playing with my new friend....2 christmas's in as many months...hehe
Ive just added myself to the map....thanks to everybody for the welcome! Mike - i may take you up on the VAG-COM offer - i want to do the auto central locking mod.

Its quite funny really, everybody ive told about my new car at work has been coming out with the likes of "you could have got a newer focus for that kind of money" (£6k), so i glance out to the car park and see the vectras, focuses (or is that foci, or focals...anyway..) my polo....and the 2 people that always seem to grin smugly getting into their cars, thats right, the A2 drivers (a pair of 1.4 SE's)....yep, thats when i really regret not going down to the ford garage (ahem)...40 hours till the keys (and the A2) are mine....alll miiiiine!!!

smilbourne said:
Its quite funny really, everybody ive told about my new car at work has been coming out with the likes of "you could have got a newer focus for that kind of money" (£6k), so i glance out to the car park and see the vectras, focuses (or is that foci, or focals...anyway..) my polo....and the 2 people that always seem to grin smugly getting into their cars, thats right, the A2 drivers (a pair of 1.4 SE's)....yep, thats when i really regret not going down to the ford garage (ahem)...40 hours till the keys (and the A2) are mine....alll miiiiine!!!
Haha! I can SO relate, same story where I work :D

I have just been having work done to my A2 and was given an A4 170bhp TDi S-Line as a loan car.

Was it a well engineered, proficient, fast car? Yes.

Did it put a smile on my face when I drove it the way the A2 does? No.
Did I keep my eye out for other drivers? No.
Would I prefer it? Not a chance.

Mine still makes me smile after 4 years and people still comment on it. It is quite standard, not painted lime green or anything and yet people still look at it!

I have a couple of friends who are real car buffs, owning a Jag, a Lotus and a Porsche between them and they still love my little Alfie!

They all have their quirks but hey, that's one of the joys of owing an A2!

.....as if i can concentrate on the exciting world of Mechanical and Process Engineering Consultancy.....when....THERES ONLY AN HOUR TO GO!!!!! thats right, im going to sneak out of work early to pick up it/him/her (cant decide yet - all my other cars were girls....matilda - who we wont speak of as she got rust leprasy and then burnt out....snowy1 (the 1st polo - a white one hence the name), Lulu the 306 TD, snowy 2 - a blue polo with much the same feel of snowy 1 hence the name),.... can anybody tell im just trying to fill time till i can nip off to Stockport....
Oh yeah, one question i had due to this morning's weather.... does the SE have heated mirrors? i dont know if i have the "winter pack" i didnt check - what will tell me if i do or not - from what i have read you cant tell if you have heated mirrors in normal non icy conditions.
Thanks,
Simon

I think the winter pack only kicks in under 5 degrees C so there is no way to find out.

I am still excitedly waiting to use the car on a cold enough day to see the Winter Pack in action.

Simon,

I am afraid I can't answer the question on the 'SE' spec, but I can confirm that the heated door mirrors do come on with the heated rear screen and automatically below -5, if memory serves right.

If you do not notice the mirrors visibly defrost with the heated screen, then I would say that you do not have them fitted to your vehicle.

The next option is to check to see if your vehicle already has the wiring in place to accomodate the heated glass - mine did. A visit to http://www.vagparts.com/ and around £60.00 lighter in the pocket for the replacement 'heated mirror glass', will see a quick and in my opinion worthwhile fix!!

Hope this helps!!;)

Regards,

Darren

P.S. Full part links from vagparts below:

https://sslrelay.com/s74326199.onea...0030_RHD+A2+heated+mirror+LH+=288Z2857535A=29

https://sslrelay.com/s74326199.onea...0040_RHD+A2+heated+mirror+RH+=288Z2857536A=29

smilbourne said:
Oh yeah, one question i had due to this morning's weather.... does the SE have heated mirrors? i dont know if i have the "winter pack" i didnt check - what will tell me if i do or not - from what i have read you cant tell if you have heated mirrors in normal non icy conditions.
Thanks,
Simon

Forgot to add...

The door mirrors do get 'warm', so even if the weather is non icy, (fat chance of that from now on... brrr!!), then you will feel the glass 'heat up'.:D

Cheers,

Darren

Darren C said:
The next option is to check to see if your vehicle already has the wiring in place to accomodate the heated glass - mine did. A visit to http://www.vagparts.com/ and around £60.00 lighter in the pocket for the replacement 'heated mirror glass', will see a quick and in my opinion worthwhile fix!!
Simon,

A tip to remove the glass: I used a freezer defrost scrapper - it was wide, thin and quite flat. Use it to lever behind the glass whilst placing a gloved hand over the glass to take the strain - I used thick gardening gloves in case the glass broke. It didn't! Glass popped out OK to reveal the wiring on my SE that is without the winter pack.

ULP said:
Must get this little mod done...
Chris,

I know that this is a fairly easy job, but if you want, I am more than happy to assist if / when you purchase the glass.:)

Alan_uk said:
Simon,

A tip to remove the glass: I used a freezer defrost scrapper - it was wide, thin and quite flat. Use it to lever behind the glass whilst placing a gloved hand over the glass to take the strain - I used thick gardening gloves in case the glass broke. It didn't! Glass popped out OK to reveal the wiring on my SE that is without the winter pack.
Simon,

As Alan quite rightly points out, you have to be careful. I used plenty of masking tape before attempting to remove the original 'non heated' mirrors and again placed masking tape on the new 'heated' ones so that they didn't break when pushing them into position.;)

No breakages on removal or replacements!!:D

Cheers,

Darren

More heated mirror tips.
Check the vehicle data codes in the front of your Service Schedule book. The code for factory fitted heated mirrors is 6XD. (see link for all codes)
http://www.a2oc.net/forum/showthread.php?t=889&highlight=codes

Remove the lower section of the mirror casing to give (limited) access to the back of the mirror glass. I found it helped to push the glass from behind while levering from the front. Play around with the mirror adjustment to get the optimum glass position for removal.

The new heated glass will snap into position easier and with less force if the the locating lugs are lightly lubricated. I checked to ensure they were firmly fixed and even with the lube they were well and truely locked in place

Cheers Spike

Back