Stupid hole in dash under the aircon

lyndonbuck

Why oh why is there a big hole in the dash and what can I stick in it? Suggestions please. Can you get a CD changer like VW did or is there a blanking plate or something to make it look less rubbish? Thanks

The hole you refer to is the stowage shelf, which I agree, isn't much use, as most things get thrown out under acceleration!

It is not quite the right shape for a DIN-sized unit, because of the rounded bottom edge and there has never been anything other than a different type of stowage shelf (one with builtin seat heating controls) available.

It is deleted if a double-DIN audio unit is specified and an alternative tray in front of the handbrake is fitted instead.

The other thing which foxed me for ages was the apparent square cut-out on top of the dash, above the central vents. Was it for a pop-up screen or something?

No, it's for nothing at all, except aesthetics!

Cheers,

Mike

SWMBO had a zip up CD case which fitted neatly in the hole. It was black so not noticable from outside the car and stayed put as it was a good fit.

She has a changer now so the case has been relegated!

Like Ian's mentioned ^^^^ I have some Black CD cases that are a snug fit into the mentioned slot, to be honest it's the best use i've found for the hole and can't see it being very usful for anything else!

Mike

I have 1,000 CD's in there - Dension iLink screwed to the inner compartment so I can slot my iPod into the slot and its fully hidden. Wire goes through drilled (and grommited) hole in the back and upto the stereo. iPod operates like a CD changer using the Chorus head unit controls.

To remove the bin you put your hands in it, make a fist and struggle - it clips out with difficulty but once you have done it 2nd time is easy.

I also wired power for my mobile phone cradle around the dash and through same hole to cig socket. Keeps things tidy and most important handy but out of site.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the replies, it amazes me that with all the thought that has gone in to the rest of the car, that part of the dash is a bit of a mess. I might have a go at the iLink though.

Back