Cold running.

SpeedEight

I've had my A2 TDi (75) for a few weeks now. At first the temp gauge would gradually rise to 90 degs and stay there for the remainer of the journey. All as expected.

The last week I've not seen the guage read as high the majotiry of the time. Sometimes it reads 70 degs but a lot of the time it's resting on 60 degs (ie: min temp). Does this sound like a faulty sender unit, guage, etc, or could I be running at these low temps?

The journeys are 40+ mile motorway trips cruising at 70 mph. It doesn't seem right to me, especially as initially it read 90 degs, but thought I'd ask for other people's input.

I'm going to check the level of the coolant this evening when I get home, that's a bonnet panel off job isn't it? Anything else it could be?

Thanks.

I'll add my ten pen'th... thermostat... mine is rock steady at 90°C never moves, but takes quite a few miles to get there when it's cold.

bba

spike said:
Hi SpeedEight
ULP is correct - it could be either. I had similar problems and changed the thermostat, only to find it was actually the temp sender at fault. See link for more details.
http://www.a2oc.net/forum/showthread.php?t=3208&highlight=thermostat

Cheers Spike

Cheers Guys!

Odd that it was fine for a week or so then just started playing up. That's cars for you I guess, I thought these German things were supposed to be reliable? ;)

So it looks like it could be either but the temp sender unit is easier to do. Is it obvious when you see it? The gearbox end of the cylinder block you say?

Thanks!

Hi SpeedEight
The temp sender points towards the rear bulkhead and is partially hidden by pipework but the attached pic (item 19) may help with location

Cheers Spike

sorry the pic is upside down

Last edited:
Thanks Spike, that's very helpful, I'll have a play tomorrow. Sorry for the delay in responding, I've been away.

Cheers,
Ian.

Hi Adrenaline
Fuel mapping and timing are influenced by the air and coolant temp senders (among other things) so a faulty unit could affect fuel consumption.

Cheers Spike

mine has been like that for some time...and i really should get it fixed pretty soon, by not replacing it is there damage being done to engine?

is replacing the sender unit a big job?

I have had exactly the same problem and I figured it must be the temp sender. I bought a new one but had the greatest difficulty fitting the thing, as the sender is very difficult to find, let alone actually change. I gave up in the end and had it fitted at the car's recent service (the mechanic conformed that it was not an easy job). Problem now completely solved.

Back