Aaarrrrrghhhhh - Fan Control

Fish

Anyone help?

Why does the fan speed on my climate controlled A2 change itself. It seems lower when I start and higher when the engine warms. This is when NOT set on auto.

Surely it should just stay where I set it....

really starting to wind me up now... in my book not on auto therefore manual it should do what I say. Earlier I started car and it had dropped from 4 notches to 1 I turned it up to 3 then it kept adding 1 to sit at 4 turned it down then it turned itself down more to 2.

Anyone help. This is not happening in auto mode but with auto off:confused:

my fan speed varies but i think its just the system setting an optium setting to aid it to reach the rqd temp setting as soon as possible, which when reached, settles down into its normal rhythmn.

I understand your frustration, but manual mode on the A2 doesn't mean fully manual mode unfortunately.

I don't know if you are into photography, but the nearest reference I can think of is aperture or shutter priority on a camera - you set one parameter and the machine does the rest, to an extent.

I know this sounds like auto mode, but it isn't - in auto mode, you select a temperature and the vent position and fan speeds are altered automatically.

In manual mode, you control the vent position and the temperature and to some extent, the fan speed. The car will not allow you to pump vast amounts of air in at the wrong temperature, so will vary the fan speed to suit.

Failing this explanation (which is valid), you could also have a faulty central convenience ECU and/or climate control panel.

Cheers,

Mike

You can override it by setting the fan speed automatically.

My wife always does this - but why buy an automatic unit and then waste it by overriding it, after all it generally knows best!

The VAG climate unit is very clever and even Honda have not caught up yet.

Another example is that on auto the first few seconds from switch on are always directed at your feet - to avoid blowing damp air onto the cold windscreen where it condenses! The Accord steams up when cold if you are not careful - the Passat never did.

Thanks for the replies. It does seem to hold the fan down when the car is cold and bring the speed up as the vehicle warms. Generally I've never got on with climate control as I always like a gentle breeze on my face and everyone I've ever seen at a set temp is either too cold or too hot.

It would appear not to be the case but in "manual" I would expect to be able to set a fan speed and leave it. This mourning I set off with it on 1(left at 4last night) I thus turn it up to 4 in 5 miles it's now nearly full blast and I have to turn it down.....

Maybe I'll try the auto mode, my problem being it doesn't give me enough through the face vents.

Back