Insurance And Immobiliser Advice

adam7157

Hi there everyone does any one know the details of the alarm and immobilisers in the audi a2 52 2003 whether there cat 1 etc.Being a new proud owner of an audi a2 tdi with open sky i am looking for some advice please on the best company to take insurance with thanks in advance.:)

Well, it may not be my longest or most insightful post, but this reply is my 1000th, so, here goes to the next 1000!!!

The A2, in ommon with all recent Audi models, has a Thatcham Approved Category 1 Alarm/immobiliser system, fitted as standard, see this link for details:

http://www.thatcham.org/security/pdfs/categories/PassengerCarCAT1.pdf

This ideally means that you will get a decent premium from most insurers, as the car is difficult to nick!

There are plenty of insurance threads about if you have a look, but for your information, I'm paying £240 fully comp, with Direct Line. That's for my Tdi 90PS Sport, in Greater Manchester, full NCB, aged 35.

Cheers,

Mike

Has anyone found their alarm to be rather on the quiet side?

I know that it is probably enough to scare off a car thief but when I was having trouble with my key, I set it off once or twice. The first time I didn't realise it was the alarm.

One more thing!!!! If you are trying to get a discount on the insurance for having an alarm, you will not be covered for theft if the alarm is not working correctly and the car is subsequently stolen.

Smick, the alarm is indeed very quiet, due to the German noise regulations. The alarm is still Thatcham certified, even in this quiet state, so there will be no trouble about making any claim.
Cheers,

Mike

Smick said:
Has anyone found their alarm to be rather on the quiet side?
I Have often thought it was on the quiet side but mine went of at 2 in the morning the other night ,We had been shoping and we had not shut the boot properly , ive never ran down the stairs so fast in all my life , we where all fast asleep but it still had no probs waking us up .

Even my neighbour came out to see where the alarm was going off the good thing is where it is so quiet and a distinctive noise you will always no it is your alarm going off and not just another car alarm in your street ......:)

Skipton01 said:
This ideally means that you will get a decent premium from most insurers, as the car is difficult to nick!

Either too difficult or not worth nicking - no prestige for boy racers!

When I got my A2 from the stealer I paid £350 to transfer the Tracker Monitor for Life, having read the blurb in the Tracker handbook about getting insurance discounts and thinking over the life of car the cost would even out. But on asking for quotes I couldn't find anyone offering a discount. One insurance company said that it was because the A2's had a low incidence of theft.

Let's hope the price of aluminium doesn't get too high to attract the scrap metal merchants!

In hindsight: 1. should have phone arround first 2. factored in the cost of servicing the Tracker (e.g. battery change) 3. if it was stolen do I want the police to be chasing the theives and ending up with a bent A2 - might be better to buy gap insurance and just get the cash.

A colleague had his 15 yo import MX-5 stolen from outside work yesterday (we managed to give chase at a reasonable distance but lost them in a West Belfast side street) and everybodys thoughts seemed to turn to steering locks and similar.
Just thought I would check on here for security of the Panzer before rushing off to H*lf*rds or the like and spending my hard earned money.

Thanks for all the info, no trip to the retail park for me!

Cheers

glock17

Back