Taxation Class for 1.4 TDI

moogaloo

I have just bought an A2 1.4 TDI SE and am shocked to find out that I need to pay normal car tax on this vehicle becuase this model was registered before March 2001 even though the car is offically B rated it is not eligable for the £50 tax band.

Does anyone know if there is anything I can do the DVLA did not seem top think there was?

Unfortunately for you, that is correct.

March 2001 was chosen, seemingly at random, as the cut-off for the new emission based taxing rules. My other halfs Yaris is (or would be) band B too, but she has to pay the full fee as well.

It seems that this is yet another thing to take into consideration when choosing your pre-owned A2!

Cheers,

Mike

moogaloo said:
I have just bought an A2 1.4 TDI SE and am shocked to find out that I need to pay normal car tax on this vehicle becuase this model was registered before March 2001 even though the car is offically B rated it is not eligable for the £50 tax band.

Does anyone know if there is anything I can do the DVLA did not seem top think there was?

Doesn't the engine size still get a reduction, I though that before the co2 rating was brought out if the car was below 1500cc it was a lower rate or have the little schemers disposed of that?

from the parkers guide web site.

From 1st March 2001 the annual car tax (or Vehicle Excise Duty - VED) rates for cars is determined by their CO2 emissions and type of fuel used. This information is on the car’s log book - also called a V5 document. Alternatively, just tell us what make, model and derivative your car is, using the drop down list, and we'll tell you how much your car tax, or road fund licence, will cost.
If you car was registered before the 1st March 2001 then the car tax costs are as follows: For cars with engine sizes up to and including 1549cc: £110.00 (one year)/£60.50 (six months); for cars with engine sizes over 1549cc: £175.00 (one year)/£96.25 (six months).

Last edited:
Yes, you're right Mike, so most A2s, FSi excepted, will pay £110 max.

However, a lot of confusion still exists on this one - Smith Knight Fay tried to charge me £185 for the road tax on Tank when I ordered him back in 2004, that's the figure that was on the order sheet, but it was creatively accounted away when I pointed it out!

Cheers,

Mike

Back