How many miles on £20

It costs me about £23 to fill up at the moment and I can get about 230 miles out of it through town driving.
Considering that a lot of my journeys are of the 10 min variety to pick up my son from my parents I don't think that's too bad...

I get 125-140 to the 3/4 full mark and then 100 miles per 1/4 tank marker.
Working on tank to tank basis, I get pretty much exactly 10miles per litre using tesco 99ron.
Working at latest price (cheers Gordon!) of 91.9 pence, that works out at 220 miles for £20, or 37.8mpg.
Most of my driving is long runs 25miles each way up and down the A1 (leeds to harrogate) every day, so round town £20 for 200 sounds about right.
Not bad for a 1.6FSI.

I have filled up today - - -brim to brim and have done 285 miles at £22.00 91.9p a ltr 54mpg, slightly down on what I normally get.

Adrenaline said:
howcome i only get 200 which is around 40mpg its a Tdi SE

If you are only doing short journeys and spending most of your time going up and down the gears and sitting still in traffic with the engine running, 40mpg is about right. I can get 70+mpg, but only on a long journey where the car spends most of its time in 5th gear at less than 2000rpm. As soon as I get caught up in town traffic, average mpg can drop to 50+.

John.

Don't forget things like outside air temp - cold starting has a major impact on mpg. If you keep your car in a garage or under a car port that alone will boost economy compared to the guy who has to leave the car on the road in the frosty north east!

VW even looked at an entire engine casing in foam to overcome some of this warm up inefficiency we get in the winter months.

For a real world comparision between A2s how about taking one of each model give them a February cold soak on some forgotten Lincolnshire airfield with full tanks. Then drive 200 miles before adding £10 of your choice of poison.

Leave to settle overnight (with sealed tank caps) in a Happy Eater car park before repeating the exercise several times (swapping drivers of course to even out lead footed from feather weights and changing routes from A1/M1, A and B roads plus lots of short trips to the chip shop (sorry no bio diesel top ups allowed!) to get a true average.

On the other hand why not just compare the EU Urban figures and be done with it!

In my youth I had a Passat turbo diesel estate that was "supposed" to be economical according to the "official" figures and I never got anywhere near it. It didn't have a fancy DIS or whatever, I just went on how much I spent on fuel and how far I went, travelling 120 miles a day on mixed roads it came out at about 40mpg. The same route with a petrol A2 (OK its lighter, more areodynamic, slightly newer) gives me...40mpg.

pamanal21

Hi, Slightly off the question but i have been checking fuel over last 6 months (1.4 petrol) average is 45mpg ,have just fitted one of the green magnet things to the fuel line, ,now find getting 50+ average so I am pleased with result, Cheers Alan.

Actually some additives do work well - those you put into the tank with your petrol/diesel rather like the more expensive fuels from Shell/BP as opposed to supermarket varieties. However octane/cetane booster does leave you less from your £20 note for petrol/diesel!

Back