Whats gone wrong with your A2

Gexx

Hi All,

How about a thread listing what has gone wrong with your A2! It may be useful to see what has happened and may happen in the future! We may even be able to pick up some trends :)

Lets do it in car / what went wrong / rough mileage if applic

1.4 tdi
Dash Rattling 9,000 m
Glove box rattling 14,000m
Anti Roll bar replaced 35,000m

Well, where do I start?

51 plate 1.4se
Gearbox 48k
Antiroll bar & bushes 48k
Tiebars 48k
CD player started chewing my CDs 49k
Front undertray rattling 49k
Droplinks 50k
Oil dipstick sleeve 50k
Inlet manifold pressure sensor 50k
Timing belt changed with waterpump 50k
Throttle body cleanout 50k
Big Espace shaped dent removed from rear 51k
Rear tyres cutting into rear arches since having 18" alloys on since 55k
Rear door with dried blood and scuff marks after someone kicked it on a night out 57k
Brake pad warning light is on now at 57k
I think thats all.
I've only had it since January too.

I know its now gone but here is my list when I had it.
driver's front window sensor
steering angle sensor
oil level sensor
new water pump
new flasher unit
anti roll bar and drop links
gear box on the way out at 40k

My A2 is nearly 6, now around 75k.

1.4 tdi 2001

Gyro unit (sensor for ESP) < 5k
Drop links ~15k (rattled for ages before I had them fixed)
Steaming up ~35k (still not cured, but doesn't happen very often)
Flasher ~ 50k

Strangely, the following haven't failed (touch wood):

Indicator bulbs (I do use them)
Battery

My A2 is also nearly 6, with 50K miles

1.4 tdi SE - May 2001

Headlamps misting (replaced under warranty) ~ 5k
Roll bar droplinks (just out of warranty) ~ 30k
Coolant temp sensor (wandering temp gauge) ~ 35k
Steaming up - climate control temp sensor under dashboard ~ 42k
Alarm siren in boot (4 beeps after starting engine) ~ 48k

Cheers Spike

Is this similar to the thread "Bits fixed under Warranty":confused: would it help if they were amalgamated?

doctor

I realize they are similar threads - but I started the warrenty one because I came across a couple of threads where people had got bits fixed under warranty at some dealers and not others.

It gives a reference to owners what 'fixes' are honered by dealers.

This thread is just for things what have gone wrong and what to look out for.

What's gone wrong? What hasn't!

A2 1.4 petrol – 23,000 miles, purchased new November 2001

• Repeated engine management system warnings since new - the first within a couple of weeks of purchase. On one of these occasions the engine stalled causing the power steering and then the servo brakes to fail whilst my daughter (at the time a learner driver) was driving down a steep hill! Luckily a major accident was avoided. No fault found by dealer.
• 11/03/05 Fault logged for central convenience control unit, required new unit 17770 miles – Cost £327.22
• 30/11/05 Failure of EGR sensor at 19917 miles - Cost £262.45
• Three weeks later 21/12/05 failure of lambda probe at 19989 miles – Cost £350.96
• An oil level that is impossible to check because of the design of the dipstick. Audi Dealer could not get a reading either, so within the first year of ownership the whole dipstick assembly was changed on this car to try and improve matters – it didn’t and it is still not possible to check the oil level. Dealer advised us to keep a careful eye on the low oil warning light!
• Headlights that fill up with condensation in cold weather and still continue to do so after dealer attention.
• Alloy wheels that have corroded under the surface lacquer despite being religiously looked after and never having been kerbed. For this Audi UK finally (and reluctantly) contributed £200 in Audi vouchers as a ‘goodwill gesture’.
• The rear (drum) brakes make a grinding noise first thing in the morning - dealer unable to fix this.
• A door speaker failed. My car has only two speakers anyway and the sound quality has never been great
• The plastic skin peeled off the handbrake lever requiring it to be replaced, twice.
• The side indicator light housings have clips that have broken causing the indicator to fall out.
• The rear number plate light assembly had to be replaced as the fixing screws had pulled through the plastic.
• Various creaks, groans and buzzing noises in the cabin.
• Poor torque from the 1.4 petrol engine that sounds more like a diesel than many diesels.
• Finally - 26.07.06 - mileage 21824 - anti roll bar sleeve had to be replaced - £370

Strangely, despite its appalling reliability record my wife still quite likes it!

wow CPN and still only done 23k to date what does the future have in store for your A2 as the miles get piled on. If that was my car it would have been sold long time ago.

crb1011 said:
wow CPN and still only done 23k to date what does the future have in store for your A2 as the miles get piled on. If that was my car it would have been sold long time ago.

You're right of course - it's just that it's hard to think of any other small car with similar character and we keep hoping that we've now replaced all the bits that Audi didn't make properly originally. Sadly that's probably extremely wishful thinking!

A direct approach to Martin Winterkorn, Chairman of Audi AG rapidly elicited a contrite response and financial recompense from Audi UK though ............

Hi all

My 1.6 fsi had drive shaft replaced at 16.5K miles

Given that i brought the car to do appox 1k miles of motorway driving a week ,iam very worried about all of the above.....
l will update as miles pile up .

p.s just replaced head/main light bulbs with philps very good

happy new year .

rear discs u/s

Hi all

Update to my 1.6 fsi

This week at 19500 miles

Engine check light has now come on , any ideas folks........:(

This week has also seen replacement of rear discs and pads due to rusting /u/s pads ,note rear pads were badly pitted and showing showings of breaking up

Replacement disc and pads are EBC green stuff

Also replacing rear pads requires tools which is hard to get hold off on a sunday morning :eek:

Engine lights can come on for many reasons - find a member near you with the necessary diagnostic tools to give your A2 the once over.

Cheers,

Mike

whats gone wrong

Not much really in 175k:

30k ist service
40k int service
64k cam belt & service
76k fuel filter (warranty)
95k service & ist wiper blade
106k mot needed anti roll bar & bushings
112k anti roll bar fitted
128k cam belt & service
139k anti roll bar, discs and pads
145k mot neede tie rod end
160k service
161k overheating nff
166k still overheats rad fan replaced
168k still overheats cambelt & water pump
172k track rod bent
174k still overheats head gasket & thermostat,all now fine
not too bad for mileage

engine check light

hi folks

update to my a2 engine check light

lower sensor (lamba-NOX) in front pipe ,has been replaced at 21.5 k :)

cost of this works by KAM at heaner ,derbyshire 108+vat ,

front window now u/s due to large stone chip

cpu software

mine had major issue that looked worse than it was audi said it was very common. the car kept staling in lower gears and engine mangement light kept coming on loads of people told me sensors and cpu was shot diffrent opinions from everyone. it turned out common issue software need upgrade lol 50 quid only people were telling me to scrape it including 1 audi garage bin workin fine now for 6 months i love my tank. want new alloys tho as mine have croded i have the 15" alloys there so bad having major issues getting wheels sorted. oh and that bloody sky roof keeps jaming and i need to get wd40 ing it lol. i got pigeon jammed in it i supose i only have my self to blame. pigeons jamed in a2's is not a good combi. please dont ask me how it got stuck its a long story. my a2 smells meatty now. lol

Last edited:
I have done just over 56000 miles and the only things I have had to replace are the tyres, because the rubber wore off them and the diesel in the tank, due to the engine drinking it slowly. It has been a brilliant car!!!!

1.4se x plate, 76000 miles- things that gone wrong

had it for one year with previous fsh from vindis in huntingdon.
1. front wheel bearing replaced- £206 ( rubbed until took it back for adjustment of heat pad)
2.rear wheel seized on to hub- what if i get puncture?
3. back number plate half off
4. bloody dipstick broken-- but least i know from other threads where to get one.
4.had a man look at it today-- car was apparantly serviced by dealer b4 we got it-- wheels seized, spark plug stuck, air filter v dirty, cambelt should have done at 60k but reading sevice log , can't see any evidence of such!
do i take this up with dealer although car wasnt mine at the time or will they have it on their system somewhere?
5. engine mgmt light been on and off for last year, normally on in the wet going up the hill- told no fault read, adjusted then comes on a month later

ps does anyone know of a good indi in cambs?

Ok...these are the bits that have failed which I would consider to be out of the ordinary...

Opensky failed (left as is due to £££££)
Front anti roll bar replaced
Dipstick broken
Flasher relay failed
Oil level sensor failed
Upper lamda sensor failed
Misted headlamp
Fuel flap release failed (left as is due to £££££)
Front door check strap creaking (left as is)
Front coil spring broken (plus top mount)

Most unreliable car I've ever had - but still quite fond of it (1.4 SE petrol)

In our 4 years of ownership (1 year & then 3 years) our A2's we never had any major issues.

The 2002 car had the misting headlight problem. Written off before solving this problem
The 2003 car had a constant hissing coming from a rear speaker - even when the stereo was off. Stereo replaced by dealer under warranty.

Thats all folks....
Some of the above sound like horror stories - the complete opposite of our A2 experience.

Back