Sidelight bulb replacement

Wookiee

Today, I tried to replace my nearside side sidelight bulb on my A2 as it has blown. I have the replacement bulb and was planning to do both lights it successful with the first. To cut a long story short I gave up as I do not have a clue how to remove the plastic clip from the tube in which it resides.

The plastic clip was pulled and rotated but it did not want to come out. Is this a simple job as the last thing I want to is to break the part. I have been able to remove the headlight to make access easier. I do not have any idea of what to do next and do not want to go to the local dealer as it will cost me a small fortune and there is a risk of damage to the bonnet when it is taken off the car, which has happened before!

Can this be done by myself as I would like to resolve the problem sooner rather than later and is a standard bulb acceptable or can a 'whiter bulb be used'.

P.S. I have already changed the headlight bulbs and that was a doddle to Osram Silverstar bulbs.

The sidelight holders can be a bit reluctant to come out, as you've already found!

They will come out, but you need to be persuasive and only pull straight back, don't try to bend the plastic or twist it, as it will snap.

Cheers,

Mike

Hi Wookie,

I have recently replaced all bulbs in the headlight unit without any trouble, (and I am no DIY genious!!), so I guess your sidelight fixtures are just a bit 'stiff'.

As Mike says, a firm grip and pull and they should just come out. You can always try to give them a quarter turn first though, just in case there is any plastic moulding catching.

Good Luck!!

Darren

I too have recently changed my bulbs. I've replaced the orange signal bulbs to all chrome bulbs, looks alot cleaner! Also changed small city lights to philips bluevision and dipped beams to philips gt150 power bulbs or summat or naffin!

Cheers all for the info, I shall be trying this at the weekend and hopefully be having a happy new year and will report on my results!

Wookie

Done! Changed both bulbs this morning in less time than it took me to puzzle over the original blown side last week. Have changed the bulbs for a whiter light and these definitely look better than the original creamy coloured light.

Another problem easily sorted when you know how.

Wookiee

Super Bright LED's

I too have just fitted new Side Lights - Bright White LED's (x4 in each!) and I think that they look much better than the Standard bulbs as they are a brilliant blue/white light and not the dull yellow glow.

View attachment 566

Happy New Year!!

hey snubnose those led's looking nice, where did you purchase them? I've recently replaced mine with philips bluevision and they look good, but yours look even better!! do you know if your lights are street legal? thanks and HAPPY NEW YEAR

Hi There Chucknaldo

I was having a bit of a play when I bought these and only paid £4 delivered from an internet site called e-bay, you may have heard of it!!!
"jzlz1996" was the seller & he has had a bit of negative feedback over the last couple of days regarding his postage costs.
I thought that the £4 that I paid was an absolute bargain and left him +ve feedback to let him know!!!

There is another thread (Old subject, new...) regarding upgrading lights that you may wish to read as there is mention that if you use too higher power side lights you may damage the small plastic tube, in which they sit. I am happy with these as they do use less power and I hope run no hotter that traditional bulbs - but you need to make your own choice.

I am pretty sure that these are road legal, it's the coloured ones that Plod doesn't like.

Hope this helps.....

Hey i've just fitted the led's and they look really good. i thought the blue visions were white but these are summat else!!! In fact they're making my philips power bulbs look really yellow! :( Gotta get some H.I.D's now yeahhhhh!

One point to remember when fitting the front led's is that they are only one way fitting,always switch them on and try them before refitting back into the housing

HID bulbs in normal headlamps

chucknaldo said:
Hey i've just fitted the led's and they look really good. i thought the blue visions were white but these are summat else!!! In fact they're making my philips power bulbs look really yellow! :( Gotta get some H.I.D's now yeahhhhh!

In this weeks' Auto Express there is a feature on how retro fitting HID to a car not designed (self levelling and with head lamp washers) for them is illegal.
Damn, just when I was thinking of getting some.

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/autoexpressnews/204549/this_weeks_auto_express.html
Page 38, 'Inside Story'

i would reccomend a set of PIAA 4500K TERA LED bulbs for sidelights.

They are quite expensive at around £35 the pair, but they are excellent.very bright and a true xenon effect.they also come with the ballast packs.

they too put my philips bluevision bulbs to shame!

Back