Help with Convincing the Wife !!

andyman

Ok Hi all, Ive been on here before looking for advice rather it seems a long time ago, but I cant for the life of me find the posting now!!??.

Anyway at present we have a good old 98 A4 1.8 with only just under 50k on the clock!!,
But feb or march next year we will be in a good position to buy a newer car at last, we have one daughter now coming up to 3 years old and there is a possibility that we may try for another baby mid next year.
My wife likes the idea of a newer A4 like what we had after our old A2 but I want another A2 as I remember how wonderful that little thing was,
HOWEVER I need to convince the wife that it would be roomy enough if we did have another baby!!>>, What do you all think??,
Wife did love the A2 and my best point is that it was so cheap to own with the low RFL and brilliant economy .
We would have up to about £9500 to spend, so what should we be able to get bearing in mind my local dealer is very costly and rather unhelpful when it comes to A2's!!.
Wife does also like the idea that it wouldnt take up much room to park as we have limited front of house parking and an A2 would fit well.
Also wife loves gagets so could I get a high spec one for that budget?.
Must be a TDI pref 90 with climate and a spare wheel and not the poxy daft tyre weld stuff.
Assistance would be very much appreciated as the wife has said its up to me but we would need to keep our next car for at least 4 to 5 years so it has to be right.
BTW not to fussed about if we can get all food shopping in the boot as my car is larger but would need to get a pram in it and baby stuff in case we did have another.
Sorry to waffle on, over to you all and dont hold back,,,,you all seem like a lovely bunch.
BTW again, Anyone in the Ipswich Suffolk area as I seem to see a fair few about these parts??!!.

finding an A2 for 9500 shouldnt be a problem but if you intend to keep it 4 to 5 years then best to get one with lots of bells and whistles on it. Also bear in mind that the A2 is not without its problems so expect to pay out for costly repairs. I wasnt prepared to have a car that kept costing me money for repairs and trips back to the dealer every few months thats why I sold mine. I maybe a bit bias but owning an A2 is not all plain sailing which can be borne out by reading the threads on this forum.
Good luck and happy motoring what ever you decide to buy.

Get the newest you can afford - better still import a 1.2 TDI from Europe and enjoy 80 - 100 mpg, zero RFL and low insurance costs. And no LHD is no problem - my wife passed her test on a manual bmw mini rhd and took to the a2 1.2 TDi like a duck to water! We now have baby seat as well!

http://www.greenconsumerguide.com/audi_a2_tdi.php

Thanks all for your replies, wife would dare try a LHD, we went to Florida last sept and I tried to get het to try the rental car and she wouldnt even when I bribed her!!.
Will be looking pref for an SE and not bothered about sky roof but would love the following,
Climate,
Cruise ,
Spare wheel,
Good CD player,
Elec rear windows,
As much storage space as poss,
Bench seat or Split(both have good and bad points!),
Low miles,
Dont know what other options there was though,
Wife has said today that she would be happy to have an A2 but if we did have another baby then I would have to buy her an new pram(gulp!) as our present one is large and I wouldnt think it would fit into the A2's boot.
Keep ideas etc coming much appreciated.
Regards Andy.

Also Wishing everyone a happy new and safe healthy year

TЬV Auto-Report 2004: And the Winner is ... the Audi A2

Unbeatable in terms of quality and reliability: the Audi A2 is the winner of the TЬV Auto-Report 2004. According to the experts at Germany's Technical Inspection Authority TЬV, no other vehicle up to three years old gave cause for fewer complaints. Their overall verdict: "The Audi A2 is worth the money. Its build quality is excellent, and the manufacturer's ambitious claim to premium status is also fulfilled underneath the exterior panels." This means that a German brand has finished first in the TЬV Auto-Report again for the first time in almost 20 years.

The TЬV body statistically evaluated a total of more than 7.5 million general inspections for the Auto-Report 2004. The Audi A2 picked up top marks in the categories suspension, light, fuel system and exhaust system. 91.6 percent of the A2 cars brought in for a general inspection had no faults at all. The smallest member of the Audi model range consequently performed far better than the class average of 75.8 percent. 6.3 percent had slight faults only (compared with the class average of 18.6 percent). Only 2.1 percent had major faults. This compares with an average for all age categories of 17.5 percent of vehicles with major faults.

The Audi A2 has thus demonstrated its quality once again in impressive style. In the J.D. Power Report 2003 about how satisfied German car drivers are with their vehicles and car dealers, the A2 stood out as the best German car in the compact class. The Dekra Defect Report 2002 listed the A2 as best in class in the group of vehicles up to three years old. The A2 has also demonstrated its great reliability repeatedly in 100,000 km endurance tests for which it has received very good reviews.

Even tho some of the A2OC members had some problems, the numbers speak for themselves ^_^

And lets not forget, it's pretty darn cute, hehe ..
Also, it looks quite small in the back, but once you get in, and notice for instance all the leg room, most ppl go "heey, this isn't small at all!" (My old folks had an 1998 Audi A6, and it had less leg room).

we have twins...

we about 3 years ago when twins we en-route....

haven't had any problems with it... we have the bench seat and you can fit 2 baby seats in fine... we even squeezed in a mother-in-law into the rear seat with the girls... not comfortable but who cares?

our pram fits just fine... but you should test your pram because some prams are gonna be bigger...

having a larger estate car or SUV or van might be easier to just throw all the crap in the car etc but the A2 is so easy to drive and park in the city...

and it is fun to drive... and i think it is easier to lift the babies in and out of the A2 than in a lower riding estate...

he he he my mother in laws ass would be way too big to get inbetween two baby seats in a caddy let alone an A2!!,
You have a 68 Charger?? WOW what a car if ya got a piccy I would be interested.
I dont know if we will ever have any more kids(got to have sex for that):D but my car is bigger so think we could get away with an A2 fine anyway as ULP says bigger car equals carrying more junk and personally I would much rather the mother in law drove in her own car:rolleyes: .
(love her really):p
Keep looking about but there aint much about but we have to wait about another month before we can get one.

babies and A2 wife convincing

andyman
i have two little girls and their car seats fit in ok and i echo evryone elses comments about the space.
Controversial comment for you: Forego the spare weheel and use the extra space to get your large all min one pram system in the boot. Ive done this with mine and was amazed - plus I've not had a puncture and am generally prepared to take the risk, but you might be able to get breakdown cover chucked in as part of the deal or shop around for the cheapest. Get your kids first and their gear and then try to get them and the stuff in the car before you buy it. alternatively get a SEAT Altea, you wont go wrong
Kind regards
Paulc

Hi Andy, I'm also in Ipswich. We've just had out 3rd baby so I'm not sure what all the fuss is about :). My Mrs prefers to take all 3 (aged 6, 3 & 0) in the A2, BUT it only has the standard 2 seats in the rear, so when she has to give another kiddy a lift she has to use our Pug 406 estate. If we had an A2 with a bench seat we'd all (i.e. 5) be able to squeeze in I think. It does help not being giants or bloaters, though... ;-)

We do have the collapsible spare wheel, but keep it in the garage with the false floor for local journeys as it wastes a lot of boot space - which is needed for a push chair & shopping. Punctures are so rare these days that it's not really an issue for local trips.

Guess who's now wishing he went for a car with a bench rear seat?

Mark

We got an A4 and its been great, kids are now 3 and 2 and i've just got an A2 with a view to it replacign the A4 when it gose in May - so we have a trial period of a few months to see how it goes.

Been lookign fro a while and you will get loads of choice under 10k with certainly 54 plate cars available. Problem I found was finding one with lots of spec on it.

Back