Old subject,new thread,headlights.

pamanal21

A2OC Donor
Hi, I have just replaced both headlights with xenons,the h7 dipped were no problem but the h1 main beam single/terminal were, on original h1 removed the flange which secures bulb had the following cut-outs,a small half circle at top & a 3 sided square on opposite edge these cut-outs allow bulb to fit in place firmly.The new h1 purchased had just a slice across one edge plus two punched dimples opposite each other, needless to say would-not fit, I had to remove the dimples(saw off) then re -profile the outer edge/s with small file top & bottom to get them fitting correctly, also had to make new small connector wires approx 2 1/2" length with male & female connectors each end, now fitted & working fine yipee!.Just two futher questions:
1.were 2001 a2 headlights different fittings to present ones?? or is there an easier way of doing job??.took me 2 hours to convert mine.
2.I see from a lot of threads people are up-grading the side light bulbs with blue xenons 501/5watt, Idid notice @ castle combe out of the 30 or so A2s I counted 5 cars that had the little plastic concertina tubes burnt through (didn't look nice) by the blue xenons501/5w, on asking why this had happend I was informed that the original sidelight bulbs are 3watt hence the 5 watts will melt the concert'inas, also note you cannot buy replacements only complete new headlights, so before going ahead give it some thought!! you have now been informed, sorry to be bad news informer but do have a "HAPPY NEW YEAR ",
TO ALL A2 OWNERS, Cheers, Alan & Pam.

Are LED's as Hot?

Hi There

Interesting comments on the side light upgrades, I had considered overloading the wiring. The LED’s use less power so no problem there. I think that the LED’s run cooler than traditional bulbs – is this so??
I don’t want to trash the plastic tubes if they can’t be replaced.

Happy New Year

Basic LEDs run cooler than filament bulbs but the high output leds such as Luxeon are mounted on blocks of copper to keep the heat below 130 degrees or they self destruct.

Back