TDI 75 v TDI 90 v 1.6 FSI

ebeneezer

I'm trying to work out which of these to buy. As far as I can tell, the TDI 75 and TDI 90 can both be chipped for more bhp - 101bhp for the TDI 90? But given the TDI 90 has a different turbo set up, can the TDI 75 ever generate similar power/performance when chipped without compromising the engine? If it can, it seems the more sensible choice as there are more to choose from....but that may be the wrong conclusion. Even though the 1.6 FSI has 110 bhp, I realise the disadvantage is it uses more fuel and is perhaps slower through the gears. However if you are driving at speed (say 90 - 100 mph on the continent) is it significantly quieter than the diesel engine as this may be a good selling point?

ebeneezer said:
I'm trying to work out which of these to buy. As far as I can tell, the TDI 75 and TDI 90 can both be chipped for more bhp - 101bhp for the TDI 90? But given the TDI 90 has a different turbo set up, can the TDI 75 ever generate similar power/performance when chipped without compromising the engine? If it can, it seems the more sensible choice as there are more to choose from....but that may be the wrong conclusion. Even though the 1.6 FSI has 110 bhp, I realise the disadvantage is it uses more fuel and is perhaps slower through the gears. However if you are driving at speed (say 90 - 100 mph on the continent) is it significantly quieter than the diesel engine as this may be a good selling point?

TDI75 will go to 108bhp as for the 90it will go?!! i will let you know when mine is done maddys 75 is 108 at moment but is going back on rollers as vince has new map so i will let you know.
the diesels are cheper to tax than fsi and better mpg
as for noise have had maddys at 110 mph and not that bad you will get wind noise and engine noise on both fsi and deisels at high speeds
now that it is chipped it will pull all through from 1900rpm all the way to 4200 rpm it gives you a nice kick at 2100
we are going to play with mine in the new year so will post later.
when we wear looking for maddys a2 i test drove 14 petrol and 16fsi and the 75 diesel
cheers
ROBIN

Last edited:
Acceleration times will be similar for all I imagine, main difference is the way that its delivered, at what revs and with different noise & harshness etc. Drive a few and see what you like - FSI feels poor on 95 petrol - big flat spots low down, but feels good on 98, TDI 75 is pretty good, TDI 90 better but (in my opinion) is noisy and harsh. I test drove all of them and chose the FSI. The main thing is to make your own mind up - FSIs and TDI 90s are not that common and some people on here won't have driven one so be wary of this when they give opinions. Don't discount the fact that chipping will do nothing for the longevity of the engine and may have warranty and insurance implications (ie if you don't tell them you wont be insured, if you do it may affect your premium). Also TDI 90s and FSIs have rear disc brakes and as both are late they will have larger fuel tanks, aero wipers and all that stuff if thats important to you. As for using more fuel, there really isn't much in it when looking at mixed driving (see the thread how many miles on £20), with such a light car there is no need to drive A2s hard and petrols can be pretty economical. Buy what you like best.

I test drove a tdi 75 sport and a tdi 90 SE before buying the latter. The decision took about 5 nano seconds!! It has much more get 'up and go', particularly when overtaking. The SE suspension is also better than the sport in coping with our badly maintained and pot-holed roads....it really has a big car feel to way it drives. The computer says that I regulary get around 55mpg too. In fact it is strange, but the faster I go, the less fuel it seems to sip. Is this possible?

I have not driven a 1.6 fsi so can't comment on it.

I test drove a 75 and 90 back to back. I drove the 75 first and enjoyed the drive but as soon as I drove the 90 the difference was very noticeable and I made the immediate choice to buy the 90. I found it more responsive and it sounded less rough on accelaration.

I love the 90 and if you are in any doubt have a test drive of them both back to back and you will know immediately which you prefer.

I did'nt consider an FSI and have never driven one.

Back