1.4 Sport

DaveD

I have owned a few Audis (and VWs and older Saabs (proper Saabs, not the crappy GM ones)), in fact I still own a few.

Question: I am looking to buy an A2 at the moment, and assumed that the 1.4 Sport (petrol) would have a proper engine and brakes, just as the Lupo 1.4 Sport. ie. 100 bhp and discs all round! Every car that I have looked at are only 75bhp, and drum brakes. So, how can these be Sport models? The better seats and suspension hardly constitute a "Sport".

Do 1.4 FSI A2 Sport exist?

1.4 is NOT FSI.
The 1.6 is the FSI, and it goes like stink!
"Sport" designation is more to do with the trim level than the engine size

Rubbish isn't it? Only 1.6FSI and TDI90 have proper brakes, 1.4 and TDI have rear drums, you know like in the 1970s. Sport has awful suspension but nicer wheels, I bought an SE and then swapped wheels over, at least it rides properly. Honestly you won't believe how firm the ride is. I've got an FSI and its pretty good, I seem to remember that they are faster than a Mk4 Golf GTI as its pretty much same power (110bhp vs 118 or whatever) but weighs 1000kg rather than 1300kg or something around that. Still does 45mpg and its not a diesel. If you go for a test drive make sure its got 98 octane petrol in or otherwise they drive like a barge.

Thanks. Is 1.6 FSI engine based on the same principles as the 1.4 FSI.
I like the look of the 1.4 motor, we were considering a Lupo Sport, just to get that engine, as I know that for £1000 it is tunable to 130bhp. I fancied blowing off overweight modern heaps, with a little 1.4 badge on the boot. So, if the 1.6 is based on the same engineering then it should be almost as good (ie may not rev as high?). We now feel that the Lupo is too small for old farts like us. I have difficulty getting in and out of an Audi UR Quattro.

Not bought every copy of either Audi or VW driver for some years, so don't have every bit of info pertaining to these engines. I do have the tech info on the 1.4 so I know it is modern, high tech, revable and tunable. I also heard that VW were planning a turbo/supercharged 1.4 with 180 bhp, so it must be a good bet for the future.

I used to subscribe to both mags in the old days, but stopped when they started to fill the pages with yellow convertibles with yellow leather seats, etc.

Just thought.

Audi got the spec. of the MkI TT Sport right. Except for 3 point belts and optional heavy seats. Shame they failed to do the same with the A2 1.4 Sport.

A2 FSIs are direct injection - when you start them up it sounds like the big end has gone - could easily be mistaked for a diesel at low revs but sounds much better as revs rise, and is quite quiet normally, has quite a bark under full revs. I'm not sure how it differs from the later engines, but its pretty much the same as the current 1.6FSI Golf, albeit the Golf now has 115bhp rather than 110 I think, but obviously weighs much more.

Picking up my newly aquired 1.6 FSi Sport on Monday afternoon, from what I've read on here, I am looking forward to experiencing the performance!

Should be a vast improvement on my current car - Laguna 1.8 sport tourer 2001!!:D

AndyC - good luck with your new car, make sure you put 98 in it - Shell V-Power seems to work best or you could try Tesco 99 if your local store sells it. It takes a few miles for the car to adjust itself to the fuel that you put in, dealers will invariably put cheaper petrol in to keep their massive fuel bills down.

Cheers, dealer says they will put half a tank of fuel in for when I pick it up. It had normal unleaded in for the test drive, I guess I'll get the same as a top up:(

Am I better using that up first before filling up with super?

Nah, stick super in straight away, it will take a while for the ECU to realize that the fuel is different, so half and half will not harm.
I have an FSI and can assure you that you will have fun!
Gets about 39mpg.

So how good is the FSi, obviousley with the sales chap in tow I was a bit limited in the way I drove the car during the test drive. The ride was good and firm, a massive difference to the Laguna!

The gear box will take a little while to get used to I'm sure but I definately liked the firm seats, plenty of support.

Think I've got a good deal, car is a 52 reg, black FSi 1.6 sport, 41k on the clock, full dealer history. They're refurbishing the wheels and I'm getting a 3 year Audi warranty plus 12 months tax and MOT, all for £8000. They're even giving me £2500 for my Laguna with 99K on the clock!

well, take the power of a Golf GTI, the weight of a lotus elise (ok...plus shopping!) and the looks of a Meriva and you are there!
Wait till monday.
Compared with my 2.0l V40 it's like jumping into a high powered go cart every day. Gocart with climate and good stereo that is!

AndyC said:
Think I've got a good deal, car is a 52 reg, black FSi 1.6 sport, 41k on the clock, full dealer history. They're refurbishing the wheels and I'm getting a 3 year Audi warranty plus 12 months tax and MOT, all for £8000. They're even giving me £2500 for my Laguna with 99K on the clock!

Sounds like you got a great deal there Andy! I should also be getting my new A2 on monday.

Out of interest, has your car got the open sky roof?

No open sky roof, not too fussed about that. I had a large panoramic sun roof on the Laguna estate, only ever used it when we went to the local safari park, made us feel like we were in Kenya!:D

To be honest I quite like the clean roof line inside, I thought the open sky roof looked to cluttered from inside, didn't like the flimsy looking sun blind either.

You'll be glad of OpenSky when it starts raining - as the standard roof sounds bl**dy awful - there's no damping on the underside you see.

The blind can also be removed giving a very clean look.

Cheers,

Mike

Not too sure about that, one of the best bits of the A2 for me is the ridged ali roof, one of its (almost) unique features and the rain noise is quite nice, if a bit disconcerting the first time you hear it

I'm going to create the world's first "open pie" roof made by gluing old aluminium pie cases to the roof which should make it a bit quieter.

Guys, what can i say, picked the car up this afternoon and wow!

What a pocket rocket, the engine is great!

The car looks great, and the interior has a real quality feel about it.

Black is definately a cool colour and the black interior is fab!

Back