A2 Review!!

Darren C

Admin Team
I have just been looking for reviews on the A2 and have come across an article that I hadn’t seen before; see the link below:

http://uk.cars.yahoo.com/car-reviews/car-and-driving/audi-a2-2004648.html

Unlike some journalist’s columns, this article really does praise the innovatively designed A2 and what it has achieved. It is a fairly well balanced editorial column with the only criticism relating to the vehicles styling. I guess as they say “beauty is in the eye of the beholder”. Personally speaking, I think the car is most definitely “futuristic” in design and still has the ability to put many newer concepts to shame.

Interesting to note that a “Henry Wakeling” is renowned for specifying his A2 TDI with almost every option on the list, bumping the cars cost up from just over £16,000 to a massive £24,753. (I bet this is almost worth as much as Mike’s now!!).:)

Just thought that I would share an interesting read!!

Cheers,

Darren

Thats an interesting find - I wonder how much all these loaded A2s weigh? Add a few options like open sky, big wheels, climate control, sat nav, funny plastic cubby boxes, electric windows all round etc and it probably adds over 100kg. All the millions Audi spend to save 100kg by using aluminium is wiped out by a desire to turn your A2 into a mobile branch of Currys. Muppets.

Got the bit between my teeth now, just cruised through some of the other posts on here and found the original Audi weights for options. So here I would be, going back in time to 2003, just decided to buy an A2 due to its innovative lightweight construction, but really want to add some tat to it:
Space saver 14kg, Bose 2.5, CD changer 3, heated seats 0.8, sat nav 4.5, electric sport seats 5, climate 28, 2 floor boxes 8, electric rear windows 1.5 (just a bit but it starts to add up doesn't it?) DIS 0.7 (is it made from solid lead?), open sky 35, oh and finally a set of mats 2.5kg. Not a particularly far fetched set if options, but it adds up to over 100kg. Pretty much wipes out all that had work Mr Audi did really. Your sub 1000kg car now weighs 10% more, a bit like having a really fat bloke sat permamently sat in the passenger seat, or 4 full size bags of cement in the boot. You woudn't do that now would you? Of course if you bought a diesel engined A2 then that will weigh more again.

Back