nice car, although slight problems

manhattan$

Past Member
After owning my new A2 for a few days now, i have come across a few little problems.

It started with the car being delivered by the audi dealer without the promised free mats, they are aparently in the post along with a paint touch up kit for a very very minor paint chip on the door edge. Also some of the approved used car paperwork is missing from the audi folder pack? Things like the vehicle mileage check, and the provenance check(HPI) and a few other bits of paperwork that should be there. It seems that as soon as you pay your money, the customer service gets blown out the window and messages left are now not being returned.

next problem, the drivers door does not shut correctly, it has to be shut quite swiftly or it half shuts. It seems like the door hinge has dropped slightly so should be an easy fix.

Then the drivers seat belt which works fine but does not seem to retract into the reel properly when uncliping, it kind of hangs loose.
Annoying slight rattle from the centre heating vents when on high power,but not really a problem.

And the big one is that it seems that the clutch and flywheel need replacing(see other thread) :mad:
Now is it best to just book it in with my local dealer for these problems to be corected?
Will they try and say the clutch and flywheel problem is a perishable part so not covered under warranty?

The car is still well within its 30 day guarantee car exchange period, and is also under audi warranty.

Apart from that those problems, its a great little car. If a little noisey inside the car from the TDI engine.
Very sharp and tight steering, compared to the peugeot 206cc i borrowed for a few weeks,it was like steering a boat after driving the A2. Nice sounding standard factory stereo system, although the rear speakers sound like they dont have any tweeters???:confused:
It also seems very quick (90ps) and kind of roars like a small tiger cub, lol. First gear is a bit short with about enough poke for a cars length of movement but turbo boost is very good.
The ride is a bit of a bone breaker, and a pot hole magnet with the 17's, but not too bad. I wont be curb crawling in this one especialy when it had two brand new rs4's fitted.
Akoya looks quite nice too, although a very slight hint of girly purple in the paint :eek: .Black or silver would have been nicer me thinks.

As far as colour goes, you can't be fussy now if you want a 90, but regards the other problems, they should be sorted to your satisfaction under the warranty.

Get back to the dealer asap and if they refuse, then hand the car back within the 30 day period.

The door dropping is a common problem, although why it should be on a light ally door is a mystery. Mine has been sorted under warranty and I know a few other members have been done this way too.

The flywheel and clutch is also a warrantable repair. Maybe the clutch friction plates are exempt, but as the flywheel is not subject to wear and tear, it should be replaced under standard warranty terms. Mine is going to be replaced in this way (once SKF Stockport have finished their building of a new showroom and workshop) and so should yours be.

The seatbelt is also an important item. It may just be catching on something behind the B pillar trim, but even if it is, as a primary safety device, it needs sorting asap.

If the dealer doesn't sort things to your satisfaction, then don't be afraid to get Audi UK involved - it can work wonders you know!

Hope this helps,

Mike

Last edited:
Do you know if the rear speakers have seperate tweeters fitted as it sounds rather dull in the back compared to the front speakers.

There have been cars fitted with dual concentric drivers (the tweeter inside the woofer) but most A2s have a separate tweeter installed behind the grille by the door release handle - pop it out with something like a pallet knife and have a look.

Cheers,

Mike

Hi Manhattan,

Sorry to hear about the problems!

The door and the seatbelt are covered by warranty. I didn't notice the door was more difficult to close than mine - bear in mind you do need to shut the doors on the A2 very firmly compared to other cars.

The rattles are covered under warranty - I have had the glovebox, passenger seat and the dashboard fixed already!

The flywheel is also covered - not sure about the clutch plate - however they should replace whatever is causing the problem under warranty as you have just bought the car and can reject it :)

Don't let the dealers put you off - I have found it is far easier to pop in to resolve these issues than to do it over the phone. Audi dealers are notorious for not returning calls.

Cheers guys,
I will take a look at the rear tweeters tomorrow, im sure that the tweeters must be built into the mid bass driver on this one.

Also the wife found that her seatbelt has the same problem. She loves the car though!

I will probably take a trip down to my local dealers on monday.
Did any of you guys receive the black audi welcome pack/folder and did you receive all the check forms to place into the folder?

Had a bit of a chuckle today, the car seems so small from the outside but when the kids get in the back they looked so tiny with the deep rear footwells. lol :D I have to lift the little one into her seat, and out again.

Hi Manhattan

Welcome to the club.

manhattan$ said:
Did any of you guys receive the black audi welcome pack/folder and did you receive all the check forms to place into the folder?

In a word, yes.

I had the seat belt problem such that on one ocassion I left the car and closed the door behind me only to hear a loud bang and found the paint had been damaged in the door on the surround. Audi Swindon said it is a common problem and wouldn't do anything about it. Problem seems to have gone away + I'm more careful (when I remember). Do a forum search. I recall others may have cleaned the belt with something.

Pleased to hear you like the car generally and lucky you for finding a 90 bhp one.

Thanks for the welcome Alan.
I will have a forum search on the seat belt issue.

Chris,
I called the dealer around five times in the last few days, and get the usual not in the office responce we will phone you back. Looks like they are trying to avoid me! lol

car probs... not sorted at pre handover

sorry to hear about the niggles it really p's you off and spoils what should be a nice experience. I agree with Skipton, get back into the dealer and start creating. Mention handing it back within the thirty days. 'Come to a dealer for reasuurance and peace of mind and this has not been delivered with car.'etc etc 'Could v e got a car like this for 2000 less at a supermarket... ' etc agree dates for sorting and see if you can get them to re start the 30 days from the fixing period. If not i would be tempted to hand it back just to p them off for a change. then take your money and begin again, how enjoyable
Paul

Hi there don't I recognise your new car - wasn't it from Reading Audi? I test drove it back in September if it is, and I've got a few stories that might interest you if it is yours.....Was £14k at the time......

ooo...no now I am nosey...go on share the "Tale of Reading Audi, With Silver A2's and added tradgedy".
Beats watching telly tonight.

;-)

Hmm perhaps I made that sound more dramatic than it really is, but who am I to spread gossip....but then they did find a severed head in the passenger seat the next day....I think it was an Audi salesman.....

lyndonbuck said:
Hmm perhaps I made that sound more dramatic than it really is, but who am I to spread gossip....but then they did find a severed head in the passenger seat the next day....I think it was an Audi salesman.....

NOT GUILTY :D

I hope the person who bought my old A2 isnt a member of this forum if they are then i am off hehehehe hope they got a good warranty from the dealer when they bought it

Back