uk road tax

rrdoctor

Hi Don’t just sit back and expect others to something about it ,YOU do it NOW!!

UK ROAD TAX

THIS IS REAL AND THE LINK IS TO A PROPER GOVERNMENT SITE.

The government's proposal to introduce road pricing will mean you having to purchase a tracking device for your car and paying a monthly bill to use it.
The tracking device will cost about £200 and in a recent study by the BBC, the lowest MONTHLY bill was £28 for a rural florist and £194 for a Delivery driver. A non working Mum who used the car to take the kids to school paid £86 in one month.

On top of this massive increase in tax, YOU WILL BE TRACKED.
Somebody will know where you are at all times. They will also know how fast you have been going, so even if you accidentally creep over a speed limit you can expect an additional fine with your monthly bill.

If you care about our freedoms and stopping the constant bashing of the car driver, please sign the petition on No 10's new website

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/traveltax/

Please pass this on to anyone who owns a car/motorcycle. It affects them.

* Its not limited to speeding. They also know where parking restrictions etc are located. And you!

(Additional - I have just been on the No10 site and there are LESS than 500,000 signed up to it. There are over 30million vehicles and drivers in this country the closing date is 20/02/07.

Jane Williams
Traffic Projects Technician

Traffic Projects ' 01926 412023
Environment and Economy
Warwickshire County Council
Email : [email protected] <mailto:[email protected]>
Web : www.warwickshire.gov.uk <http://www.warwickshire.gov.uk/>

Something has got to be done to stop people driving all over the shop for the sake of it, stop being so selfish and start thinking about ways to cut down how much you drive. As for being tracked, I'm afraid unless you live in a hole, pay for everything with cash, and don't have a mobile, then thats been happening for years. Sort yourselves out.

You are quite wrong in your ideas Lyndon, and I would suspect most people do not share your views.

In stead of thinking of ways to cut down on driving, why not put time and effort into finding ways of making any sort of vehicle less damaging to the environment. There is no doubt that people do use cars a little more than is necessary, but any A2 driver is doing their bit to an extent by choosing to drive a car with less impact than say, an X5 or similar.

As regards tracking, whilst the authorities may be able to track you to an extent already, it is not a real-time thing and is not compulsory - the nearest to real-time tracking is the triangulation of a cellphone signal and this can be stopped by turning the phone off.

The big issue here is one of compulsory, always-on, real-time tracking and it is a complete affront to our civil liberties. We live in a supposedly free country where we enjoy a huge amount of freedom. The issue of security, as recently proposed with ID cards and no doubt will be trumpeted with the new road tracking schemes is a non-starter - those who don't want to be tracked will not drive a tracking device enabled car.

Why should the decent, law-abiding, tax-paying person have to suffer the indignities of carrying a card around or being tracked 24/7 when to real villains will just avoid the system anyway?

Oh and then are finally caught, they won't go to prison, as there are no places left and then they'll get vouchers paying them for good behaviour! The whole idea is plain wrong.

Rant over,

Mike

Totally agree with Mike and also what Chris has posted.

Despite being a passionate motorist, I do see the need for change - both due to the nature of our congested roads and the rather more serious issue of irreparable damage to our climate - once it's gone, it's gone for good.

However, I do not like the idea of an even stronger nanny state where none of our lives are indeed our own. The fact of the matter is, all our government is interested in is taking the easy option to tackle tough issues: tax more, whilst taking every possible opportunity to intrude on our freedoms more and more.

You cannot tax people out of their cars and off our roads without providing reliable, comprehensive and cost effective alternative FIRST. This country needs to bite the bullet and totally reinvent our public transport networks. Only then, once there is a genuine alternative to using our cars will the public be willing and able to leave the car at home.

Just think of the money that gets wasted and how many billions have been squandered making the world a more insecure and bloody place, when that money could have been spent putting measures into place that would be for the greater good of everyone and everything on this planet...

Ian

I suspect this is just another revenue generating exercise, luanched behind a smoke screen of the genuinely important issues such as road safety, the environment and road congestion. It should consequently be objected to. I have just 'signed' the petition.

The capital investment must be put into public transport.

Interesting one this. Mike my views are my views, they are not "wrong", they are simply different to yours. The fact of the matter is that something needs to be done, either £1.50 per mile motorway charging, this scheme or something like it, the tracking thing will I am sure come in at some point, but so what? What is everyone really so worried about, ULP is right in that we can all do things to get around this, but ultimately we will all have to adjust our behaviour. I am sure that all of us young enough to have small children or those who do not simply think about their own finances will at some point in the near future want to start to change their way of life. And I always thought that people who bought Audis were supposed to be nice polite middle class people...imagine what they're saying over on the Subaru Impreza web forums....

Sadly the debate about vehicle taxation is only one of the opening skirmishes of the government tax & spend issues that we will face during the 21st Century in the UK. It is a well known fact that the proportion of people out of work (retired / on benefits / tax avoiding criminals) will be increasing whilst those people working or paying tax decreases, therefore the amount of their taxation has to increase. It is widely predicted that the demands of those that need expenditure (health service, schools, prisons, pensions etc etc) will exceed the amount of money available. So there will be a need for cuts in one area (no state pension anyone?) to continue providing services in another area, whilst the people who actually pay tax will be squeezed for every last penny. The battle for resources has only just started and it will become increasingly acrimonius. The motorist is simply the easiest target at the moment but tax-by-the-mile will not finance the longer term issue and new ways to tax us will be thought up (too many windows in your house perhaps?).

The above is all internal debate for the UK; more worrying will be the worldwide battle for resources (energy, clean water, safe arable land). As the developing world economies become more developed (especially China & India) there will be a much greater demand for oil supplies against a known fall in production. Last years oil price spike is a warning of things to come (google 'peak oil' for more). China is currently quietly doing deals with African oil producing nations, whilst America has built up some stake in the Middle East (ahem). The quicker the UK builds nuclear power stations and goes to work in electric cars / better public transport then the safer we will all be.

Paying tax is a bitch and will never be fair but what is the alternative?
Rant over.

MPG Lover, may I reply.
The alternative, try getting everybody to pay what they should first, taxing by any means of every day man who pays up will continue because the gov't cant be ars'#d to do this so the burden will always fall on those who already pay, i.e. the honest drivers etc, we already pay a form of road tolls it's called 70% fuel duty, it already targets gas guzzlers by its very nature, we also all pay a congestion charge by getting stuck in jams at rush hour by using more fuel, if this gov't is honest about resolving congestion then it can start by ripping out all these hardly used bus lanes, loose the right and left turn only lanes, sequence traffic lights to keep traffic on main arterial routes flowing, loose cycle lanes (and I am a cyclist, I didn't have them in my youth and survived) take out these stupid cheveroned central areas and create new traffic zones on the existing road network.
We don't have congestion, we have bad traffic management.
The result of the above will ease congestion, decrease fuel consumption therefore reducing carbon emmisions, we all know keeping cars moving slowly keeps them running at their least efficient.
The proposed reduction in fuel duty will I'm affraid be a short term token guesture which will actually hit the lower fuel consumption driver hardest and actually reward the fat cats in their environmentally unfriendly gas guzzlers!

Last edited:
lyndonbuck said:
Interesting one this. Mike my views are my views, they are not "wrong", they are simply different to yours.
Lyndon, I respect your right to your views and didn't say that they were wrong, merely that people probably wouldn't agree with them.

If you read my post again, I said your ideas were wrong, meaning that your idea of tracking was incorrect and also your idea that people just go for a drive for the sake of it and also the assumption that we were in some way being selfish.

I stand by what I said though and will not comply with any new ruling requiring me to buy and install some tracking software/hardware unit. If the government thought that the Poll Tax riots were bad, then they are in for a shock when this one comes around!

Only this week, the proposal of charging for driving into Manchester came out and it has caused more uproar.

Doing the job that I do means that I need to have a car and drive into the city centre - this morning for instance, I was in work at 5am to do the Heaven & Earth Show.

There are no buses or trams or trains at that time, so what do I do?

A properly thought out policy needs to be implemented before any charging takes place.

Cheers,

Mike

Skipton01 said:
You are quite wrong in your ideas Lyndon, and I would suspect most people do not share your views.

Thats what you said, apologies if I took it the wrong way, but thats what it looks like to me.

73% of people apparently (well according to the Times Higher Education Supplemet that I'm reading while watching my huge polluting toxic bonfire burning in the garden) now chose a car with an eye towards the environmental effects that it causes, I woukld suspect that more and more people are going to start changing their mind. As for your example, of course its a pain, but you're on business, so you pass on the charge. Does that make everything more expensive, yes probably. I went to an environmental conference last year and a director of Philips Electronics said that in the near future the cost of a large LCD could be pushed up to £5k due to stricter legislation such as WEEE and all that. Best get used to it I think,

lyndonbuck said:
As for your example, of course its a pain, but you're on business, so you pass on the charge.
Don't think so - can't see the BBC or Granada paying me to come into work somehow - they're tight enough as it is!

Cheers,

Mike

Maybe we should let them put the licence fee again, oh hang on maybe not. I went out and bought Top Gear magazine, not normally something I read but the article in there that ULP refers too is good, well worth a read, plus there are a couple of nice Audis tested - new S3 and TT 2.0 roadster, so looking at those takes away some of the pain of thinking about road pricing.

ULP said:
Mike, does Phillipa Forrester still do that show. She is Loooooovvvvvveeeerrrrrlllllyyyy... :)
Chris, where have you been?

It's Gloria Hunniford now - Flippa stopped doing it about 2 years ago!

Live TV is a buzz, even when working with a Glorious geriatric!

Cheers,

Mike

ULP said:
Mike, does Phillipa Forrester still do that show. She is Loooooovvvvvveeeerrrrrlllllyyyy... :)

Not as loooooovvvvvveeeerrrrrlllllyyyy as the loooooovvvvvveeeerrrrrlllllyyyy Marie though, eh Chris!! (Your secret is safe with me!!;)).

Back