Used car expert - 10 common faults

Hi guys and girls,
Have you seen this site? basically you pay a few quid for the info.
Being a tight git I've looked online for the answers to these questions and not found much:

- 2 area(s) on the bodywork to inspect
- 1 engine check(s) to make
- 2 wear item(s) to spot on the suspension
- 3 interior item(s) that you need to ensure work
- 2 official recall(s) that should have been completed

Just curious really as i've just bought the car but if you know any of the answers post them here and save me £5.00!

Regards, Mark cheapskate

At a guess I'd say
1. open sky unit & door check straps
2. cambelt, otaware ofany other issues
3. drop links and roll bar bushes
4. climate control, convenience unit (controls alarm, locks, windows etc)
5. recalls see VOSA web site info freely available.
hopethis helps but I'm sure Skipton01 will be advising if I'm wrong shortly

All the items that tdiman suggests are very good places to start, but as far as bodywork is concerned, take a long hard look at the framing elements, along the sills and along the roof-line to see that all is well and free from dents, twists and creases.

The space frame is considered a write-off if damaged in this way, although it is repairable in certain places.

As with most modern cars, check all electrical items are working and also the climate control, if fitted.

Also, the 2 recalls were for the fuel pump on diesel engines made in 2004 and for seatbelt issues on very early cars. But as Mike suggests, check with VOSA and the local dealer to see that your car has been inspected for the faults.

Cheers,

Mike

Hi Mark
Here are a few more things which could be on the list
Boot light not working - removing the tailgate trim panel and lubricating the switch assy often works otherwise the whole lock unit has to be changed.
Glove box - the internal switch can break and it can't be replaced separately. The whole glove box assy needs changing at approx £200 for the parts.
On very early cars (before 2001) I think there was a recall relating to starter motor cables rubbing /touching part of the gear linkage.
On Sport models the ABS sensor wires are prone to damage by the big wheels. Later cars have a different wire to improve clearance
The dipstick blade is known to break off on some petrol models

Cheers Spike

maybe we could create a checklist pdf that we can print out to check by when viewing cars :)

Back