Audi A1 (the new A2)

Skipton01

Admin Team
Well, it's official - there will be an A2 replacement and it'll go on sale in 2009.

It will be called the A1 and in a controversial move, it will be made in Wolfsburg, at the VW factory there.

It seems that the car will be based on the current Polo chassis, with the current Golf chassis being an option. The Wolfsburg plant has just lost the Golf contract (and 2000 workers!), so it seems that the decision to build the new car there is politically motivated.

I have also learned from a very good source that the Audi brand may well break away from VW parentage to become its own boss in the near future - that could be a mixed blessing!

Cheers,

Mike

If it looks like the grey one (3rd from top) then I will be putting my name down for one. I agree that the orangy, red, rust colour one is horrible though.

everything points to a car that looks like a junior TT. Not a real replacement/successor of our A2, which is more about light weight, fuel efficient and practical. I'll wait and see

Hopefully Audi designer's will use the next 2 years wisely and get the design right and make it more of an individual vehicle like the A2.

it will be interesting to see how it progresses - it looks almost identical to the original new TT spy pics - I would be very suprised if it goes away from the general look/feel of the new AUDI face as the A2 wasn't very successful for AUDI unfortunately

Fiona said:
It's lovely, but is it just me or is anyone else thinking BMW 1 series?

05_BMW_1Series_01.jpg

Nope, but after a second look the only similarity is the lower swage line on the 1 Series - the rest of the BMW is just a design mis-match.. however, it's almost identical to the new Volvo C30:

volvo-c30-1-big.jpg

volvo-c30-3-big.jpg

Last edited:
I'm with you Fiona - not too keen on the boot-lines on the shooting brake. I can't see how Audi can keep the front end design the same (it is the new TT after all) either.

The new A1 will be a 3 door car, no question. They might do a five door option, but I doubt it, as it'll be too small really and the cost implications of having all those different combinations is what they want to avoid (see my previous post on the number of boot trims available for the A2) to maximise profitability of the model.

I don't think I'll be buying the new A1 in a couple of years time - hopefully I'll have a diesel TT before then!

Cheers,

Mike

Have to say I think Audi have missed a trick by peaking too early with the A2 on the ECO front. They cancelled both in 2005.

Now we are being sledgehammered by the media about Global Warming seems only Toyota and Honda are laughing all the way to the bank with their hybrid machines.

The A2 was poorly marketed in this respect. Especially by not offering the most Economical versions to the UK. People are always asking me where they can buy a car that does 90mpg with zero road tax.

So what happens? German car makers are reprimanded by EU for not meeting 140 g/km CO2 accross fleet target - reason - cancelled Lupo 3L and A2 to produce 4X4 Touregs and Lambo based sports cars!

So how does Fiat Group do it when they own both Ferrari and Maserati?

Back to topic! Think I'd wait for test between 2009 Audi A1 and Alfa Junior before buying if I was in the small sprts hatch market again.

i love the a1 and the a2 and there is no way the a2 is gone forever far to many parts. it will be back in some form with a less complicated design. i dont know what audi were thinking with a2 great for consumer so bad for bussiness to build such a complicated car. im no a2 basher tho. i love my tank

Back