Price advice on buying my 1st A2

vinesh

Hi,

I’m in the process of buying an A2. I have seen two which I like (I’m going to see them in the flesh on Saturday)

1)

2001 51 reg - Black
tdi 1.4 se with 85k on the clock
2 owners
full audi s/h (on vsi). Had a recent service
cambelt change
full set of keys
HPi checked and PDI
£5300

2)
2001 X reg - Blue
1.4 se with 68k on the clock
2 lady owners
full audi s/h (vsi). Had a recent service
cambelt change
open sky roof - fully working
Audi cd player
Full set of keys
£5395

What car values this car @ £4400 plus another £150/200 for the open sky?

Do these prices seem reasonable?
Any room for price negotiation/haggle?

thanks

Last edited:
i dont know where Whatcar gets its evaluations for...even the cheapest A2 Tdi in the country is trading at £4300 thats the cheapest in all of the UK

dont know where they get their facts from...oh and thats a Y reg 115k on the clock

Hi vinesh
For me, the deciding factor would be the choice between diesel and petrol. I don't know if you have previously driven either model but the engines have very different characteristics so you need to test both before deciding. The prices look reasonable, particularly if they include a warranty - but haggling is part of the fun so its worth a try.

Cheers Spike

Hi Vinesh, I've just bought (last week) an 2000 X plate SE, silver, 36,750K full main dealer history, totally mint, i mean no paintwork or the smallest of dents, interior as new(satellite cloth). The only fault a few scratches on the alloys, which i'll sort out. Had it a week and have found nothing wrong with it, all the various electrics are fine and nothing rattles or squeaks. It's like a brand new car.
Ran a HPI check came back perfect. Car was sourced private from Exchange and Mart and was up for £4750 ... i walked away with it for £4500 cash.
HPI gave me a dealer price of £5750 for a 40k in "good" condition. I think i got a great buy. Thing is with A2's the prices do seem all over the place, but take cash and haggle hard, some people don't know their true value. Hope this helps. Mark

Thank you for your replies. I will be taking cash. I'll have a better chance of bargaining.

markbigears -

I saw this car in ex and mart. Even sent him an email about, but i was too late, it was already sold to you. Happy driving :)

You really need to be prepared to take the day off on the thursday when autotrader/exchange and mart ads come out, because thats when all the good cars go! Yeah he said he'd had quite a lot of interest in it! Keep em peeled, i'm sure there will be other great cars around, always is. Our Ford KA was a total loss and needed a new car asap, was looking at the A class Mercs because the A2 were so expensive. Had a budget of £4500, so I got lucky. There was another cheap A2 on autotrader silver 49K but no picture, did you see that one, think it was £4800. If i see anything, i'll email you. Best regards, Mark

I would suggest you take time to go through and compare the options on the cars. I really like leather and climate control and it took me 6 months to find my car and i've never regretted, I also have Bose which is a bonus as it sounds great! Just wish it was a tdi...

markbigears said:
You really need to be prepared to take the day off on the thursday when autotrader/exchange and mart ads come out, because thats when all the good cars go! Yeah he said he'd had quite a lot of interest in it! Keep em peeled, i'm sure there will be other great cars around, always is. Our Ford KA was a total loss and needed a new car asap, was looking at the A class Mercs because the A2 were so expensive. Had a budget of £4500, so I got lucky. There was another cheap A2 on autotrader silver 49K but no picture, did you see that one, think it was £4800. If i see anything, i'll email you. Best regards, Mark

I have phoned about the A2 for £4800 (Without pic), but keep on getting the answerphone.

Give me a shout if you see anything.

I'll keep on checking autotrader/ex mart on thursday.

Cheers

I called him the week before and spoke to him, but got a funny feeling about it, so deceided to give it a miss. (he sounded either, just woken up, drunk or on drugs!) If the answer phone is on, I guess it must have gone. Happy hunting.:) Quick tip... autotrader ads start to go on about 11pm wednesday evening.

found one local to me :)

Just spoke to the trader and i'm going to go and see it tonight!!!

Advertised for £5400 with 40k on the clock
1 owner from new (Service carried out by himself - He works for AA)
Private plate
MOT jan 08
Tax Aug 07
Panoramic roof
Body panels and interior spotless

Seller is going to carry out another service before the sale.

Will keep you guys updated.

Seen the car and...........bought it!!!!

Cracking car, details -

2 audi stamps til 20k, rest of the service carried out by the AA guy. Car on longlife service.
HPi Checked
Full keys
sky light (Working)
Ran vagcom diag - no faults
Space saver tyre
Service and oil change to be done before I pick it up on saturday.
Price wise he would not budge, so had to pay the full price of £5395. Worth very penny!!!

The camblet might need changing, but the car has only done 41k. VW quoted me £300 for this.

Congrats and welcome!! Not sure where you are based but I got a cambelt done for £210 in Northampton at Lion VW Audi

Aikon said:
Congrats and welcome!! Not sure where you are based but I got a cambelt done for £210 in Northampton at Lion VW Audi

Will give them a call. I'm based in Leicester. Not far to travel.

vinesh, did the trader provide you with a up to date HPI check? Its well worth the £40 for piece of mind (I know what i'm looking at but still got one done) http://www.hpicheck.com
you can do it online with only the registration number (you need other info for a full search, but you can do that later, within 7 days). You also get 7 days free comprehensive insurance too, so you can go pick the car up.
Why do you say "It might" need a cambelt change? What gives you that impression?
Congrates on your new purchase and welcome to A2 ownership! When do you pick it up?

Last edited:
markbigears said:
vinesh, did the trader provide you with a up to date HPI check? Its well worth the £40 for piece of mind (I know what i'm looking at but still got one done) http://www.hpicheck.com
you can do it online with only the registration number (you need other info for a full search, but you can do that later, within 7 days). You also get 7 days free comprehensive insurance too, so you can go pick the car up.
Why do you say "It might" need a cambelt change? What gives you that impression?
Congrates on your new purchase and welcome to A2 ownership! When do you pick it up?

Yep the hpi check was done when he got the car from the previous owner. Previous owner done a part ex with the trader.

No record of cambelt change in the serivce book. Forum suggests cambelt change every 4 yrs (Was 6 yrs). Will take it to Lion Garage for an inspection of the belt, if needed I will have it done.

Back