Quality Of the A2 Interior

what do you guys have to say about it?
personally i think the fit and finish is great with good quality plastics.
i've read in a few places of people complaining about the interior being plasticky...personally i dont agree.

realised even more when i sat in 2006 ford fiesta. the plastics are low rent for such a new car, much better than previous fiestas though

Audi have always been noted for the superior quality of their interiors, and the A2 is no exception.

When you consider that the car was also built in the same factory, by the same people working on £50k A8s, then it's no wonder the car is so well put together!

Cheers,

Mike

you ever come across the road test on msn.

A Class vs Audi A2

i used to drive a Honda Accord which was well built...but the little Audi is pretty stunning, the aluminium trim is great

To be honest I was never that impressed with the A2 interior but that could have been cos I was comparing it to my dad's A4 which seems unbelievably well put together.

I've changed my mind though since being loaned a mk4 golf as a courtesy car! The golf seems really shakey and plasticky compared to my old A2!

I really like the A2 interior. In quality terms it is top of the class and in design terms very mature and classy....many other car interiors (like their exteriors) are getting quirky and will consequently look very dated in a few years time.

john f said:
I really like the A2 interior. In quality terms it is top of the class and in design terms very mature and classy....many other car interiors (like their exteriors) are getting quirky and will consequently look very dated in a few years time.

I agree, while the A2's interior is nothing too fancy, but like the exterior of the car, it doesn't look too dated even after 6 years. The quality is very good, my 5yr old car is still looking great in and out after a wash and a hoover. Some of the plastic panels can be of better quality though, namely the transmition tunnel console.

Skipton01 said:
Audi have always been noted for the superior quality of their interiors, and the A2 is no exception.

When you consider that the car was also built in the same factory, by the same people working on £50k A8s, then it's no wonder the car is so well put together!
Could not have said it better myself.

Sweden's largest Newspaper tested the Audi A2 versus the Mercedes A-class some time ago.
They noted how the interior oozed of luxury in the A2 compared to the Mercedes, among other things.

audiinnestorpy0.jpg

VS

mercarattstorfs5.jpg

For you guys that know Swedish, read the full article here

But I don't think much of the cloth covering on the door panels. Mine's black and shows up all the finger and damp marks.

I like the dash layout and quality - agreed it's not up to A4 standard, but way, way better than any other vehicles in the segment both with design and construction - just compare the two pics above..

The centre console does let things down a bit, given the plastics around the gear stick and handbrake are 'lighter' in comparison. They feel more flimsy, but it's the handbrake that stands out. It's too 'light' and lacks any feel of construction - plus is too close to the passenger seat!

However, that said, my only real issue is with the door cards. As you may have read, I have random creaks that need investigating, the fabric and plastics mark easily and are hard to keep clean.

Ian

The handbrake position is down to the fact that the A2 was never meant to be a right-hand drive car - I'm sure that Erling and some of our other 1.2 TDi-owning members will confirm that for them, the position is perfect.

Cheers,

Mike

I always seem to kick the panel to the right of the pedals and its always coming loose, bit rubbish considering if it comes adrift and jams a pedal open...apart from that its rattly rear seat and the little plastic plugs that hold the mats, well they don't and the mats keep moving. Apart from that is seems pretty good for a entry level car. Still can't get used to the electric window switches though, would much prefer them to be less sensitive.

I have to agree with the fact that the simple design will stand the test of time in terms of design. Nothing has ever fallen off mine in the 5 years and 83000miles I have had it. It still looks pristine. Only two things. The leading edges of the window buttons have become white and the black around the minus on the climatronic has also gone a bit so I nearly have two pluses at the moment!

The only interior thing I can grumble a bit about is that most of it is VERY hard. The bulk of the dash (from windscreen back) is supposed soft touch stuff but still very hard. But you never touch this bit. Yet the bit you touch perhaps most often, the central hang-down section and especially the top cowl over the dails are very hard. Whenever I get stuck in traffic I tap with my fingers to the music on the cowl and it feels hard and sounds terrible. If only that bit was SOFT! Oh well can't have everything.

First thing you have to remember when looking at the quality of an A2 interior is that it is all pared down to the minimum weight possible whilst still retaining the traditional Audi fit & finish. It is afterall a fuel economy special!
Having now done a bit of work on my A4 I can see clearly where the weight -not cost has been saved, an example of this is the glove box light switch, on an A2 a flimsy lightweight bit of plastic integrally moulded with the lid, on the A4 a substantial switching unit which I believe be replaced should it break unlike the A2 item that requires a new love box lid as a minimum, although I managed to glue mine back together with a plastic adhesive.
There are other items I have come accross as well which is why an Audi interior no matter whch model is the best for build quality.

lyndonbuck said:
I always seem to kick the panel to the right of the pedals and its always coming loose, bit rubbish considering if it comes adrift and jams a pedal open...apart from that its rattly rear seat and the little plastic plugs that hold the mats, well they don't and the mats keep moving. Apart from that is seems pretty good for a entry level car. Still can't get used to the electric window switches though, would much prefer them to be less sensitive.

you can buy new plastic plugs and they will keep your mats in place
i had the same problem with maddys it was about £5 or their about
cheers
robin

haven't owned my A2 now for over 2 years, but still remember the A2 interior being excellent quality - even against todays offerings

You have to love the aluminium trim...the glove box handle...the door handles
and the dials...i really like the dials

Adrenaline said:
You have to love the aluminium trim...the glove box handle...the door handles
and the dials...i really like the dials

But have you ever driven abroad? I find that the red Kph figures are barely readable - I'll correct that - I find them impossible to read. They are small and dark red and being on a black background are useless. End of rant ;-)

P.S. When driving abroad if you then must have headlights on then perhaps they are OK as they are then back lit. I keep forgetting to try it in normal daylight....

Back