help needed

simonj999

hi all, i've got an audi a6 avant 1.8t and seem to have a niggling fault can anyone help me.

Oil pressure warning indicator keeps activating, and yesterday it did it and the engine became really noisey so i stopped, but oil lever was all ok, only just had oil change within 200 miles. On inspection oil pump ok and no evidence of any blockages, no sludge in the sump etc, only thing to of been changed recently is a new oil cooler.

it's at the garage ticking over now and nothing ...................any ideas

lol please help my mechanic his sick of scratching his head.....

I agree with Robin that it could be the oil pressure regulator.
I have no first hand experience of the 1.8t but typically there are two systems on most engines. The first is a relief valve, just after the oil pump and dumps oil back to the sump due to excessive pressure when the oil is cold etc. The second is a pressure regulator, usually fitted in the oil filter body. This opens when max oil pressure is attained and again dumps oil back into the sump. The regulator valve won't normally cope with the extreme pressure spikes with cold oil which is why there are two valves. If either of these stick it could result in low oil pressure, especially when the engine is warm.

Cheers Spike

Just happened to come across this in a back issue of Audi Driver last night. Hope it's of some use to you, although it looks as though it could be expensive. Hope not. All the best.

Richard

Hi

We have a 1.8T A6 quattro avant as well as the A2 and I've had this noise twice.
The first time it was diagnosed as the oil pump and changed at the dealers. I have no reason to doubt this having read elsewhere that its a commonish problem and any how I'd done over 100k miles so something had to give up sooner or later.
The second time was when I changed the oil myself. I recognised the noise and thought it was another oil pump and decided to change it myself.
The oil pump is located in the sump which is a little bit of a pain to remove. Its not the 15 or so bolts that are difficult its the crossmember thats in the way of removal. Any way the problem was the that the oil pick up tube from the oil pump has wire guaze over the end of it to stop crap going into the pump, this was covered in the said crap, probably dislodged by changing the oil!
I had bought a new oil pump so fitted it anyway and therefore have a second hand pump it was just under 2 years old when removed. If you need it you can have it for the price of the postage. If you are going to do it yourself, I can give you some pointers - its quite easy really.

Cheers

Jonathan

Back