traction control

knocker

hi all... how can i tell if the traction control is working
does the light on the dash flash when its working or is there something
else to look for
thanks knocker

When TC or ESP kicks in (try to crash on a roundabout or pull away aggressively :)) the yellow light will flash. Its quite easy (in my TDi anyway) to get the light flashing even with grippy 17" tyres

If you press the button on the centre console to disable it the light will be on permanently untill it automatically engages again at about 40mph

I believe the same yellow light will also come on permanently if the TC or ESP is faulty.

When does the ESP work? Because from my experience either the light on the dash is lying a lot of the time or the ESP only kicks in if you accelerate while doing a curve.

The light won't turn on for me on under or oversteer. Due to my inexperience and heavy right foot (AKA being bloody stupid), I've been in some situations where the car was controllable but I expected the light to come on . Other times I was just doing a curve starting from a traffic light, and because I crossed a pothole that was a bit raised the light started blinking like mad.

Last week I was in a merging lane that has curve on a downslope, entered it in a shower just a bit slower than usual (but a lot faster than I should of done) and my A2 oversteered a couple of degrees. I caught the car again and the light didn't even blink.

Ah, well you cant tell, had a problem with my car when it was 12 months old, no grip in the snow, took it back to Audi could not find any thing wrong. 5 months later when I came back from my holidays car would not start, flat battery. Took the car into Audi, fault was a low voltage from the alternator, this caused the ECU to switch off traction control, and ESP. New alternator problem fixed. If you have cruse control fitted set the speed slightly to fast for a corner, if its working it will apply the brakes and knock you out of cruse control.

Back