Key off eBay . . . anyone bought one?

Has anyone here bought a key off eBay and got it working?
I was at the dealers and he told me never to buy one as it wont work, he wanted £160, which included one hour service time to reprogramme all the keys to the car. Just curious to see what the score is. Mark

Thats about right, I thought they were having a laugh but my friend was charged £140 for a key for his Vauxhall van - not much you can do about it, other than buying a key from ebay and finding someone else to reprogramme, or buying one, going to a dealer and claiming that its lost its programme, but I can't see that working.

key coding and cutting

i bought a key from ebay with a blank blade inserted although it was clearly second hand.
the seller had coding instructions which didnt iin the end work i now think they were for the previous generation of cars ffrom the vag group.

my local cobbler cut the key blade for £3 he said there was no problem it was just a 3mm flat ended drill bit. When he handed the key bakc the chrome had come off where he had had to remove the swarf but it went in the ignition and dorr lock fine.
Took it to dealers explained problem asked them to code keys for it which they had to dial up audi on the pc to get the codes etc. Didnt work turns out they could get either key working independently,but not as a pair.This turned out to be a problem elsewhere and i eventually got all the work done free.
Wakefield Audi were the dealers
hope this hlps. Get a key but be prepared to get it recoded at a dealers
Paul

Back