slight roof problem

martings

A2OC Donor
Hello all, am having a slight problem with the open sky on my partners car. It is 2002 1.4 tdi 23k, all the kit on it including the open sky, everything brilliant, except when we go to open the roof, it stops half way and if you let go of the electric button, after about 3-5 seconds, you hear a slight dull sound as though something has released and when you press the electric button again it opens fully! when you press the electric button to return the roof it runs very smoothly back into position. Don't want to take it to dealer yet.
any thoughts?
glen
ps ta for all advice re heated mirrors, works a treat!!

First thing to do is to make sure all the seals are clean and lubricated.

It's probably not this, but it is the first step in helping the motor have an easier life.

Cheers,

Mike

If it does it at the same point in it's travel each time, I'd say it has become mis-aligned and is sticking.

The trouble here is that the alignment jig is several thousands of pounds and is only held by a few dealers, so you have no choice but to go to them.

Cheers,

Mike

That's good news then - with you saying it was 2002, I thought it may well have been out of warranty.

Looks like you'll be getting your moneys worth then.

Cheers,

Mike

had this prob with my Skyroof - they had to change some parts in it - sorry, cant remember which bits now though

Hi Glen

Ref the recent post (see below) from Mark Brigg, it would be worth asking your dealer about the repair kit. If they need to dismantle your open sky roof to fix it, adding this sounds like it would prevent further problems in the future

''There is soon to be available a roof repair kit developed by Arvin Meritor the OEM supplier. The glass has to be removed and a small pressing put into postion. It solves the problem of the roof twisting.''

Cheers Spike

Back