Alternetive to those Ebay keys

S

Sire

I have two keys to my car. One with a big button and a small lightbulb at the front. It's possible to open the back to replace battery and lightbulb. (did this yesterday)
The other one is just a plain key and does not open in any way.
This means I have no immobilizer right? In that case, could this be something for me?
I found this ad at Ebay today:
http://cgi.ebay.de/Funk-Fernbedienung-fuer-Audi-80-90-A2-A3-A4-A6-A8_W0QQitemZ170078615452QQihZ007QQcategoryZ53909QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

It's in German but you could use this page to translate it to English:
http://babelfish.altavista.com/

I've been reading some posts about buying blank blade keys from Ebay that you'll have to "program", but with this one you'll use your existing keyblade.
What do you think?

I REALLY want to be able to lock/unlock the car by remote!

The auction closes in (as i'm writing this post) 13 hours and 27 minutes.

Skipton01 or anyone who knows alot about A2's:
Any suggestions?

Hi Sire,

Your best bet is to get a good aftermarket alarm system fitted that will link up to the cars central locking system to provide locking/unlocking via the key fob - but it won't be an Audi key fob you understand.

My wifes Yaris had central locking via the key in the door method, we had a Toad alarm fitted (Thatcham Cat.1) and it now locks with the alarm remote and even autolocks as you set off, just like the Audi anti-hijack feature.

In this regard, I'd stay away from Ebay and get a good local alarm fitter to sort you out.

Cheers,

Mike

PS - The cutting of blank keys won't solve a problem either.

Hi Sire
I thought all A2's had an alarm and engine immobiliser fitted and the only option was the remote central locking feature (standard on UK cars) I had a quick look at the parts list and the main difference I could find was the drivers door lock assy was different on cars with remote locking. Although your dealer says not, it may be possible to convert your car by purchasing a new lock (the full unit, not just the barrel that the key goes into) and new keys. The keys need to be coded by a dealer to get the immobiliser to work so don't be tempted to get them off e.bay before checking your dealer will do this using second hand keys.
I'm sure someone on the German A2oc will have tried this conversion - so before proceeding, do a search or ask the question on their web site.

Cheers Spike

Back