Limp mode / No boost

I experienced a strange occurrence on the way home tonight. Not long after setting off I was on cruise control when the car struggled to maintain speed up a relatively small incline that normally doesn't phase it. Anyhow, I cam off CC a short while later and after slowing attempted to accelerate. I was reminded of my old days driving an SDI..

The engine was gutless and reluctant to rev. It seemed as if there was no forced induction occurring. I checked my findings about 1/2 a mile later and the same thing was still present. Pulled over into a layby, turned the engine off, removed key then restarted.

Back to normal. The next 45 mins of driving proceeded without instance. Any ideas what could have caused this?

Ian

Strange one that, but not uncommon these days.

My guess is that the engine ECU has had a falling out with another component, possibly the MAF, and it's decided to take it's ball home, as it were!

The turning off and on of the car has reset the engine ECU and told it not to be a silly boy!

These things are becoming more and more common, now that electrics are effectively running the car.

Just imagine if Windows was in charge!!!

Cheers,

Mike

Skipton01 said:
Just imagine if Windows was in charge!!!
Thankfully I'm a Mac man :p

I'm going to see how it goes tomorrow, then probably run a scan with vag-com. Fingers crossed it's just what you stated Mike, although it is very near a service as it's been almost 30K now.. and I have noticed it being 'under the weather' slightly at times over the last few months.

Spike, good suggestion.. VAG MAF's are known to be notorious so that's a job for the weekend I think. A very good guide in the link you posted:
http://www.spydermagazine.com/2002/March/maf_clean/maf_clean.htm

Ian

I had the same thing occurring to my Tdi a few months back. Discovered it just like you did but I was warned in advance: I noticed that the turbo (or something else 'air-related' made a hissing noise when revving/accelerating. No warning in the dash however.

Stopping, shutting down and restarting the engine cured it the 1st time, but as soon as I tried to use some power again: back to limp mode. The intervals were becoming shorter too and since that is no way to drive safely I took it to my dealer.

The hissing appeared to be caused by leaking / torn turbo hoses and a malfunctioning intercooler. All of that was replaced, so consider that too, apart from just the MAF sensor.

I'm still amazed at how the warning lights stayed off. And how I didn't discover the 'leak' when I inspected under the bonnet myself...

Hope it's just the sensor. It normally is.
Don't know what an intercooler + hoses would cost (was a company car).

Good luck,
Edo

Experienced a drop in power and a misfire under acceleration today in my 1.6 Fsi, went straight round to Listers Audi in Worcester and after a brief test run with a mechanic, car was taken into the workshop and the problem diagnosed as a cracked recirculation pipe on the exhaust manifold, chap said it's supposed to allow unburnt fuel to be recirculated.
Car was down about a 3rd on power as a result!!

Anyway, cars in the garage till Monday, been given an A3 1.6 with only 280 miles on the clock as a courtesy car, very nice, but doesn't feel as spritely as the A2!

All seems to have been OK since this 'incident' (..touches wood!). Even Friday when I battled home in the snow for 4.5 hours - struggling to get up hills etc my A2 was faultless - will keep an eye and an ear out for any signs of trouble though

Back