Headlight Bulb Fitting Guide

Fiona

United-Kingdom
Morning All,

I've got a headlight bulb gone. I know there has been several discussions about this, but I can't seem to find a fitting guide?

Is is easy and should I attempt this (well get the other half to do so, mans stuff so he informs me) or should I just take it to Audi?

Ta muchly.

Oh and what bulbs do I need? I notice the thread about the Halfords BOGOF deal on super brilliance - any thoughts on these?

Thanks all.

Great, thanks ever so!

I'm off to Halfords and I'll let you know how I, sorry I mean HE, gets on!!

Yeah, flowers will last a few days, chocs about an hour but headlamp bulbs - at least 4 years!

Just bought 2 off H7 on bogof from Halfords and fitted them at the weekend.

I would say that you don't have to remove the headlamp unit. You will see a plastic cover on the rear of the lamp. This is retained by a wire loop which just pulls off. The only problem is that you can't see, so you have to work by touch! - just use a mirror to get your bearings to start with. Bulb comes out easily even when you can't see. Plastic cover then clips back on.

Haven't tried the lamps down a dark lane yet, so can't comment on effectiveness

I've had a go with the new bulbs and they are quite a bit 'cleaner' than the old ones. Not sure how much brighter they are, but the light output appears to be a little more natural.

Thing is, since replacing them, I've got the dreaded steamy headlamps now. Might be worthwhile to smear a little Vaseline over the clip-on plastic cover on the rear of the headlamp.

Oh, and I had to take the lamps out - there wasn't enough clearance to open the rear hatch on the driver's side.

We had a romantic evening of fitting the new headlamp bulbs (and installing Mac OS server software) last night.

Couldn't find the torx set but did find a big flat blade that did the job. As GJR said couldn't do it without removing the whole unit, which was quite easy really. Also couldn't get the wiring connection off from one side, think it must have been glued on. First side took about 15mins then the other about half that.

The Brilliance lamps are more of a white light and seemed a bit brighter by eye, but I noticed it more when driving, seems to light up the road more efficiently.

Audi wanted £9.40 for an original bulb and the Halfords ones were £20 for the pair so comparable with the bogof deal.

Quite an easy job, although a bit fiddly, and vastly more sucessful than the server software.........

Can someone help me just wondering how you get the cable off the headlamp (2x4cm plastic plug) I'm not sure where it comes off. On one side there is a small slot where you can put in a flat screwdriver but it doesn't budge and I didn't want to break the slot thingy.

I managed to change the headlamp bulb with it still intact but I wanted to use a hairdryer to make sure inside was completely dry because it mists up a little (it used to a lot but I noticed the back cover wasn't fitted correctly). I've put some Vaseline around the cover seal hopefully it will not mist up.

Hi richard,

The proper way to remove this connector is to put a flat bladed screwdriver into the square aperture at the side of the connector - not right next to the main part of the connector, but the next slot out.

Gently press the handle of the screwdriver towards the connector, so that the tip is actually being pushed outwards and at the same time, pull the connector from the shell.

Also, once you've used the hairdryer, put a couple of silica gel sachets in there to soak up any further moisture that may get in.

Cheers,

Mike

Guess this varies from TDI to petrol. I tried replacing the bulbs once myself. The one was easy but the other was a nightmare. I guess the Webasto heater or something is in the way on a TDI... In the end I had to go and ask mr Audi to help... which they did for free as it was my own bulbs!

H7 is the dipped beam bulbs? What are the high beam codes?

Guess this varies from TDI to petrol. I tried replacing the bulbs once myself. The one was easy but the other was a nightmare. I guess the Webasto heater or something is in the way on a TDI... In the end I had to go and ask mr Audi to help... which they did for free as it was my own bulbs!

H7 is the dipped beam bulbs? What are the high beam codes?

With any A2 it's always easier to undo the 2 torx screws and remove the headlamp itself.

The dipped are indeed H7 (as are the fogs, where fitted). The main beams are H3.

Cheers,

mike

Back