1.6FSI-lack of acceleration

LUCYJA

04 1.6FSI has been really sluggish since we bought it in November- been running mainly on TESCO 99 RON - garage have advised us to stick to BP/Esso/Shell with 98RON - has anyone had similar problems?

mine loves tesco 99 ron.
I have tried v power and BP stuff and there is no difference.
I get about 38mpg irrespective of what I run it on (>97RON).
I tend to stick with TESCO though as it's cheaper and is as good.

Hi LUCYJA, welcome to the A2oc
I have never driven the 1.6 but everything I have heard suggests it should be a flying machine - but needs to be worked hard to get the performance.
Try and drive another one so you can compare performance and if you think it still feels sluggish, go back to the dealer, particularly if it is still in warranty.

Hopefully other club members who own this model will give you more advice.

Cheers Spike

Don't use tesco stuff... I was using the 95ron sainsbury stuff for a few month because of how cheap it was. Normally, I use V power or BP Ultimate, but decided to go with the cheap stuff for a bit, felt everything was ok, but then last month, my engine warning light came on. Audi roadside assistance came over and reported that the ECU detected a misfire. Said it is most likely down to the lower grade fuel from the supermarket. More importantly, he mentioned that he has witnessed several other a2 running on tesco fuel that has caused problems and that I should avoid that brand. So maybe you should try the more premium stuff.

was that tesco 99 ron or tesco normal 95 ron that you were advised to avoid?

I tend to use either Sainsbury's or Morrison's (simply due to convenience). All stardard 95 stuff. Never really had any problems (once had an ECU misfire). I tried the 98 stuff for a while - but didn't notice any significant economy or performance improvements. Others have seen a benefit though. I am sure alot is down to driving style. My DIS average mpg is pretty static around 46.

I always use V Power but there was a recent fuel test for a Golf GTi (also an FSI engine, albeit quite a different one) and that gave noticeably better results on BP Ultimate than anything else. Remember also that there is a change in engine management above 4000 rpm so if you want it to move, give it some welly. Most if not all fuels contain detergents nowadays, the thing FSIs don't like is sulphur, the lower the sulphur the better. The 1.6 FSI is no sports car, but it shouldn't feel sluggish unless you're used to something much quicker.

ben said:
Still no sign of the no-sulphur fuels that were promised 3 years ago. This site says we might have to wait another 2 - 3 years:

http://www.ukpia.com/faqs/new_fuelssulphurfree_petrol_diesel_lpg.aspx

apparently the sulphur is re-circulated via the catalytic converter back into the engine and requires more fuel to burn it off into a cleaner gas. This process was explained to me by the same Audi service engineer, and he said that in order to burn the sulphur off, the engine uses more fuel and the temp is hotter. So it is best to use all but the very lowest sulphur fuels in order to achieve the best mpg and engine power output...

I use normal shell most of the time, although I only have the 1.4. There is a noticable difference between shell and other brands. This is evidence not just me. My friend who doesn't own a car and rarely drives borrowed my car for a couple of days away. He came back asking me how come he felt the Shell fuel made the car feel faster. And I notice the same difference of Shell vs other with my Vespa. Again, not just me, my other friend who also owns a Vespa came round and said exactly the same thing on the day I switched to Shell and noticed the difference!

Shell V-Max, most definitely makes a difference compare to normal Shell. More responsive, although not necessarily faster. I have yet to try the expensive BP ultimate!

Having just had a ECU replacement done under warranty by audi for a ECU warning light problem. I have noticed that the engine power delivery is much more linear and progressive. Prior to having the new ECU, the power would come in a big bunch after 3000rpm and would feel like it was choking before 3000rpm. No longer the case and much happier.

Back