A couple of questions.

manhattan$

Past Member
My A2 had a free service and pre delivery multipoint check before it left the dealers.
They changed the front disc brakes, but not the rears which look worn with a lip around the edge of the disc should they have been changed as on the multipoint pre delivery check it states "check rear brake pads and discs"?

This is a question for TDI owners.
Whilst accelerating, does your A2 have a sort of wheezing noise from the turbo?

Thanks.

Hi Manhattan$,

I would strongly suspect that the rear disc inspection would have flagged up wear, but I guess the final say on replacement would have been down to the judgement of the technician and the depth of the wallet of the dealer. The fact that they have replaced the fronts, which has a heavier bias and wear, is a good sign; but if the rears are really that bad, then I would suggest a re-visit to the dealer to address/raise the issue.

With regards to turbo noise, I am probably not the best person to ask. My TDI 75 makes a whistle/spinning noise that has become significantly more noticeable since my re-map. The power delivery is also ‘suspect’ under full throttle at times and the noise is nothing like I have heard from other TDI’s. (Please note: this was present before the re-map, although much less noticeable). If you have not observed any significant loss in power and or drop in mpg, then I would say that this could be a ‘characteristic’ of your car; though I dare say others will offer their opinions on the subject.

Cheers,

Darren

Cheers Darren,
The car is going into the dealers today, for a few things to be corrected and missing items fitted.

I have just had another look at the rear discs and pads and they do look quite worn. the pads have about 5mm of depth and the discs have about 5mm or wear too judging by the lip on the edge of the discs.

Hi manhattan$
The rim of the disc normally builds up a layer of rust and this adds to the lip effect, making it look worse than it really is. Criteria for change is when the disc is worn down to its minimum thickness (normally stamped on the disc centre) of if the surface is badly corroded or uneven. The Audi (visual) check would be for minimum pad and disc thickness and condition which are probably all within spec.

I'm not sure if it effected 90 tdi's but there were lots of old posts on turbo noises relating to the egr valve - Do a search on 'mooing' (yes mooing) and go back a year or so for previous posts on the subject.

Cheers Spike

spike, that is the kind of sound it emits after accelerating then slowing. It might be me looking for every fault though after the car was delivered with a few minor problems. :eek:

The rear discs have distorted rippled lines running around the disc surface.

it is more of a wheezing noise after accelerating like a weird sound from the turbo slowing, it maybe normal but i thought i would check with you guys.

Also the car is returning lowish MPG at the minute. I do short local journeys mostly at 30-40 mph with MPG readings from the DIS of between 35 and 45MPG

It is worth pointing out your concerns with the turbo noise to the dealer today; though from my experience you may well find that they are reluctant to do anything unless vag-com throws up an error message.:mad:

The technician in Milton Keynes has already had a poke in my engine bay and experienced the noise during a test drive, but the final closure at the time was "it could be anything, keep an eye on it and if it gets worse bring it back". Really helpful - NOT!!:mad:

Best of British in your quest, however.:)

Cheers,

Darren

Thinking about it, it maybe the gearbox making that noise as the clutch and flywheel are being looked at by the dealer due to car vibrations.

That noise is really hard to describe, but it could be a gearbox whine noise??? :confused:

if you knock it out of gear and drop the clutch, if it's the box it will get quieter, if you bring the clutch back up (out of gear) and it comes back...
I think you get what i'm driving at.
The car i learned to drive in lost its 3rd gear - very very noisy, but only in that gear.
Does it also make a difference where the revs are? only when the "shove" comes at 1800, before or all the time?

Bret

Hi manhattan$

[This is a question for TDI owners.
Whilst accelerating, does your A2 have a sort of wheezing noise from the turbo?]

The noise that you can here is from the turbo
it is when the turbo spooling up and you only get it on 90bhp as it has higher boost than the 75 bhp

you get the noise when you are driving slow then put your foot down to accelerat then when the engine is under load that is when you can hear the noise

both grahams and mine 90bhp have this noise but maddys/johns/and vinces 75bhp do not have the noise
it is like a cow mooing as spike says

but ask the dealer and see what they say about it

cheers
robin

Back