Engine Management Light Flashing

jamjia

Hi guys,

Any ideas what could be wrong with my A2? Its a 1.6FSI, the engine management light flashes when in idle, but disappears when driving normally. Nothing felt wrong to the way the car drives, but this light just comes on at the traffic lights and when i park the car. Will take it into Audi Finchley (Not the best centre, useless bunch) next week. Any suggestions from everyone would be welcomed.

Jia

Had the same symptoms when a coil pack was on its way out. Flashing light was followed by car being rough under acceleration. EPC light then came on permanently. An easy DIY fix if you are out of warranty - hardest bit is getting hold of a coil. Audi suggested I wait 6 weeks for them to get one in stock.

P

Yep, just got the car into the dealers today. Looks like two coil packs, a ECU replacement, plus there was coolant leak which is affecting the heater unit so that is going to be checked out. Coil pack is going to take a while as it has to be ordered from audi germany.

Don't believe that this part has to come specially from Audi Germany. It's b~**~#s. These are common parts used on all 1,6 petrol engines for VW, Seat and Skoda. Tell them to get their finger out. By the way as long as your A2 is not older than 5 years from first registration the coil packs for 1,6fsi are covered by extended warranty.

Yep, its 2003 registered so its under warranty, plus, i have extended warranty from the approved used program. Are the replacement coil packs covered by warranty also? ie, if the newly replaced units fail, are they under warranty even if my current warranty ends? If so, how long is the warranty?

Ok, problem detected was not a coil pack related fault. Seems like the ECU was sending out wrong signals to the engine and causing miss fires, but after some very good work by Whetstone audi, seems like all is well again. Noticeable difference in the smooth power delivery throughout the rpm range. No longer getting the lagging or choked sensation felt previously. All done under warranty so very pleased with it all. One piece of advice, avoid finchley road audi, they are utter idiots. Service department is a joke, have not had a single positive experience with them despite the fact I live 2 mins away.

The glow plug light on my 1.4 TDi started flashing the other day for about 10 mins and then went off and has not come on since!

Is this the diesel version of the Engine Management Light?

S

Back