Smart choice?

john f

I am thinking of buying a Smart Roadster coupe (Brabus Version) for the summer. They no longer make them and, like the A2, they were probably a bit too far ahead of the game (in our power obsessed times). And overpriced.

However, times are changing and I think it could turn into an A2-like, modern classic.

Do any of the forum members have experience of owning this car? If so, any feedback would be very welcome.

I have test driven one and, unlike it smaller relative, it has decent suspension. While not fast (100bhp) it is fun. Plus the road-holding is great.

Looks like I might get 55mpg as well.....some fuel efficient competition for my A2?

John

Last edited:
Mmmm lovely car...

Yes, before I brought my A2 I wanted a roadster coupe, insurance was a problem for me though (to young) My girlfriend however has just brought one. It's great fun to drive!! As you've no doubt noticed the gearbox is seriously dodgy somtimes although Brabus changes are smoother. You wont get 55 with the brabus I dont think. Poss 50/45mpg is reasonable. I'm unsure of the whole "Future classic" as a rather dubious group has been negotiating with Smart to buy all manufacturing kit and Roadster rights to the product. I suspect you may see another "Roadster" just like it in a few years time..only with a manual box most probably.

...Infact we were in my girlfriends roadster just the other night when the windscreen wipers started going nuts, suspect water in relay or.....perhaps in the dreaded SAM. Well...what can you expect from somthing built in France :p

That said there is nothing like the Brabus (or standard roady) it really is a piece of flair on wheels! go for it! It's well worth a purchase over the mini cooper S...although be prepared to be outgunned by them on the straight stuff!

They are going to be remanufactured under licence with a proper manual gearbox, in China I believe, so again I wouldn't bank on them holding their money too well, however they won't be making another Brabus version so that one may fare better. I think they are a great car, if I didn't have kids.....

Yes they will be remade in the UK ! Wales in fact with Mitsubishi engine and ACE brand name (a la Cobra)

LHD is cheaper - you can easily import from NL or Germany s/h

Thanks guys.....I have just bought a second hand one (silver with only 2500 miles) from Smart in Wolverhampton (about 30 minutes ago!!!).....should be arriving in sunny Scotland in a week or so.

J

Back