RetroFit Items

shao_khan

Past Member
There is lots of good info here, just wondered if there is a list of stuff that can be retro fitted?

Auto Dim Mirror
Sat NAv
Rear Elec Windows
Auto Wipers
Front Fogs
boot mounted CD changer

Saves me asking silly questions then :D

shao_khan said:
There is lots of good info here, just wondered if there is a list of stuff that can be retro fitted?

Auto Dim Mirror
Sat NAv
Rear Elec Windows
Auto Wipers
Front Fogs
boot mounted CD changer

Saves me asking silly questions then :D
OK then, to answer the above:

Auto Dim Mirror - yes, budget about £150 to do it yourself
Sat NAv - if you mean Audis own, then yes as long as you have a double-DIN dash. Budget about £600
Rear Elec Windows - possible but complex, budget about £400
Auto Wipers - not sure about this one
Front Fogs - yes, VagParts.com do a full kit for about £200
boot mounted CD changer - not worth it - just buy an iPod and interface for about £250, which will be about £200 less than the price of a changer and new boot liner!

Hope that helps,

Mike

Skipton01 said:
Front Fogs - yes, VagParts.com do a full kit for about £200

Mike,

How difficult an installation would it be to retro-fit the front fogs???

I am no electrician, so I guess I would be looking to someone with a bit of knowledge in that area; but all in and time, is it actually a "big job"?

Thanks in advance,

Darren

P.S. Just what are your hourly labour rates again??? ;)

Hi Darren,

THe actual fitting of the fogs is very straight-forward, and will take about an hour.

The tricky part is the wiring up, as the preferred route through the bulkhead is behind the dash and inaccessible unless you take the dash out.

It may be possible to feed a pull-rod through from the engine bay and attach all the relevant wiring to that, but I've never tried it.

I would have thought that 4 hours should crack it, but that's not a guarantee!

Cheers,

Mike

Hi Darren

I had the front drivers side inner wheel arch out recently (cam belt change) and noted a couple of cable grommets which could lead into the cabin area. No guarantees they will give the cable routing required for the front fogs but it could be worth further investigation

Cheers Spike

Auto dim mirror? Is that like in the newer audi's where the mirror changes reflective properties when a optical sensor detects a bright light source??? To stop the rear reverse mirror from dazzling your eyes while driving? If so, how to fit one? Where to find the part and how difficult???

jamjia said:
Auto dim mirror? Is that like in the newer audi's where the mirror changes reflective properties when a optical sensor detects a bright light source??? To stop the rear reverse mirror from dazzling your eyes while driving? If so, how to fit one? Where to find the part and how difficult???
You'll get one from a dealer or VagParts.com - they're about £120.

Fitting is relatively straightforward, needing the removal of the glovebox and about 5 wires connecting up.

Cheers,

Mike

Hi mike
is the wiring not in the loom for the front fogs in all A2s then
thought it would just the switch and fogs that you would need

cheers

robin

robin said:
Hi mike
is the wiring not in the loom for the front fogs in all A2s then
thought it would just the switch and fogs that you would need

cheers

robin
Hi Robin,

In my experience, Audi only ever fit the appropriate wiring for the options fitted, so that things like cruise wiring and rear speaker wiring are not there. The only exception to this is the heated wing mirror wires.

If anyone who doesn't have fogs wants to take a look then let us all know - the light switch is included in the VagParts.com kit too.

Cheers,

Mike

Skipton01 said:
You'll get one from a dealer or VagParts.com - they're about £120.

Fitting is relatively straightforward, needing the removal of the glovebox and about 5 wires connecting up.

Cheers,

Mike

Had a look on vagparts but no luck, am I not looking hard enough???

my fogs had the violet-red cable down to the footwell, but nothing through to the engine bay.

I'll be removing mine shortly (they're hella micro de) as i've used them ... twice in three years...something like that. No fog here, just snow.

The cabling's pretty simple, depending on precisely where you go through.

Bret

jamjia said:
Had a look on vagparts but no luck, am I not looking hard enough???
Go to the online shop, then Audi, then A2 then electrical - it's 4th item on the page, £180 or thereabouts.

Cheers,

Mike

Skipton01 said:
Hi Darren,

THe actual fitting of the fogs is very straight-forward, and will take about an hour.

The tricky part is the wiring up, as the preferred route through the bulkhead is behind the dash and inaccessible unless you take the dash out.

It may be possible to feed a pull-rod through from the engine bay and attach all the relevant wiring to that, but I've never tried it.

I would have thought that 4 hours should crack it, but that's not a guarantee!

Cheers,

Mike

Thanks for the response Mike; definitely food for thought as a summer project. As an estimate, "4 hours" sounds fairly reasonable to me, though with my DIY or should that be lack of DIY skills, I think I would need to set aside an entire weekend. :eek:

I like the idea of trying a pull-rod and think that that method would offer the simplest install, if at all possible.

Thanks buddy!!

spike said:
Hi Darren

I had the front drivers side inner wheel arch out recently (cam belt change) and noted a couple of cable grommets which could lead into the cabin area. No guarantees they will give the cable routing required for the front fogs but it could be worth further investigation

Cheers Spike

Spike,

Thanks for the advice and possible wire installation point.

Could have put money on Mike and yourself having a good stab at answering the question. :D

I will keep you posted if I decide to tackle the job.

Cheers,

Darren

If you know how to remove the instrument pod, then you're more than halfway there - the passage through the bulkhead comes out to the rear of this position and you will need to take the instruments out to get access to the rod as it comes through.

Cheers,

Mike

Mike,

I must confess that I have yet to investigate further than this post, though the upgrade has been in the back of my mind for some time now.

I am guessing that the ELSAWIN manual will detail the removal process, though if not, then I am sure that your 'PM' inbox will be full if I attempt this without instruction. ;)

As a side issue, most owners with the front fogs fitted as standard appear to claim that they are not much use and don't offer much additional light. Comments???

(I guess I could always fit the kit as a fashion accessory and not bother wiring them up if this is the case - joke!! :))

Thanks again Mike for the additional info.

Cheers,

Darren

Well I do have the fogs

and i do a an awfull lot of small backroads and i think they are great, they make use of the main beam more obsolete

They trow a good bit of light to either sides of the road ( i know that this is not the original use for fogs, but it does come in handy)

So would i install them if I din't had them

YES

Hope this helps

Havank said:
Well I do have the fogs

and i do a an awfull lot of small backroads and i think they are great, they make use of the main beam more obsolete

They trow a good bit of light to either sides of the road ( i know that this is not the original use for fogs, but it does come in handy)

So would i install them if I din't had them

YES

Hope this helps

Many thanks for your reply Havank; it is nice to hear the thoughts of owners who actually make use of them. It is also interesting to hear such positive comments.

I will bare your comments in mind when reaching my final decision.

Kind Regards,

Darren

driveforward said:
Ahem, yet another mod on the list Darren? :p

Well you know what they say mate; "if you can't beat them, join them"!! :D

Still not as classy a mod as your body kit project though, nor as noticeable by Joe Public. (Jealous, envious etc... ;)).

Back